Friday, December 30, 2011

"There's a baby in my belly..."

I love my little Trenty. He is such a character and comes up with the greatest things! He keeps me on my toes and keeps both Matt and I laughing daily. Trent is your typical 3 year old: busy, loud and a little rough. He is always jumping around and running into me which is usually a non-issue, but with another little one growing strong inside of me, I am constantly fearful that Trent is going to ram into me and hurt the baby.

It is obvious there is a baby in my belly, but, lately, I have found myself reminding Trent A LOT of this fact. I tell him, "Trent, you have to be careful with Mommy, there is a baby in my belly" or "Trent, make sure you are soft with Mommy, there is a baby in my belly."

One day, Trent decided there was a baby in his belly too. He randomly told me one morning while we were at home. I was straightening up the living room and he said, "Mommy, you have to be soft with me because there is a baby in my belly." I raised my eyebrows and replied, "Oh, there is, okay, Mommy will be careful." He reminded me of his "baby" a couple more times that day.

A few days later Trent was (surprise ;)) being naughty. I was trying to help him put his jammies on, after his bath, and he had decided that he was NOT going to bed under any circumstances. That kid can put up a good fight and was kicking, biting and wiggling around as much as he could to break free from me.

Luckily, I have fought a few of these battles before and put my bent leg (gently, of course) across one of his arms and his belly to hold him steady so I could finish getting him dressed. Now he only had one arm, legs and his head that he could move easily and as he continued to wiggle his way out, he cried out, "MOMMY, I TOLD YOU TO BE CAREFUL THERE IS A BABY IN MY BELLY!" I was so taken back that I burst out laughing and couldn't stop. He is such a funny kid!

Since I was laughing so hard he calmed right down and the rest of the bedtime routine went as usual, but I tell ya, that kid comes up with the craziest things AND he knows when to use them :). I've said it before, but I cannot wait to see what this kid is going to do in life, he is one of a kind and I cannot imagine my life without him. Such a blessing to me, I love you so much Trent and I will be more soft with the baby in your belly from now on ;).

No comments: