Sunday, September 30, 2012

Week One of Radiation and Chemo

It has been awhile since my last post and my time has been filled with many doctor appointments to get my treatment in order, spending as much time as possible with family and friends and lots of rest.  I'm still trying to grasp onto what is REALLY going on with me and that I REALLY have cancer.

It is hard to imagine how much my life has changed in just 6 weeks.  I can barely remember what I used to even think or worry about before my diagnosis.  That is how I talk about things now "when I was diagnosed."  It is like I have just begun a new life.  My family and I did the same thing when we lost my mom 16 years ago.  We started a new life without her.

The hardest part of my "new" life is living day-to-day.  I am a routine-oriented planner.  I've said this many times.  I like to "plan" for my future and that of my husband and children.  The rug was pulled out from under me last week when Dr. Nakaji gave me my prognosis.  He said the average life span for someone with my diagnosis is 3-5 years.

"What?!"

He COULD NOT be talking about me?!  Casen will be 5 in the best scenario!

I was not expecting this statistic and, in fact, refuse to believe it.  I have to, at some point though, accept the disease I have and not live in denial.  On the other hand, this statistic does not take into account the power of prayer, priesthood, faith and miracles--all of which I have going for me.

So, now I have to KNOW my cancer.  I have to read the advice from everyone I have received (again), research that and other areas, speak to my dr.'s differently with more questions, possibly eat differently, listen to my body and continue to pray for confirmation and comfort in all my decisions.

Not fighting hard has never been an option and it hasn't changed.  I absolutely cannot leave this world in less than 5 years.  My kids are WAY too little.

I have felt good about the "standard" treatment all along.  Radiation and Chemo following as much removal of the tumor as possible is the standard and best treatment for my cancer.  I feel good about it and the first week went well.  I am on "Temodar" which is chemo in a pill form taken every night during radiation.  A half hour before I take my chemo I take an anti-nausea pill.  "Temodar" is well tolerated--nothing like chemo was when we were growing up.

Radiation is also going well.  I make the 45+ minute trek down to St. Joseph's Hospital everyday (monday-friday.)  My Radiation Oncologist had a mask made specialized for my head and face.  The way the radiation beam is aimed at me is specific to my head and my tumor.  It is important that the measurements are exact so they have to bolt my mask to the table while I wear it so I cannot move at all.  It isn't the most pleasant 8 minutes of my day, but highly worth it as it is most definitely saving my life.  I promise you that I would do A LOT worse to save my life.

At the end of Week 1, I feel really good.  I'm just a little tired and think I over did it a little watching my boys play ball yesterday in the 100 degree temps (when is it going to cool down?!?!)  According to the Doctor, Week 3 should bring most of the side effects which are fatigue and hair loss.  I'm ready for both.  Hair loss could be minor, could be major.  We will have to wait and see.

I cannot believe the overwhelming amounts of generosity I have received from my family, friends, neighbors and ward.  I am SO blessed!  Thank you to all of you who have been there for me in any way.  It has not gone unnoticed.  The love, support and prayers are what have gotten me through this past 6 weeks.  I love you all very much.  My husband and children love you because they need me to be here a lot longer than 3-5 years and I believe I will because of you.  I will continue to fight as hard as I can.

21 comments:

The Venutis said...

fidins Thanks for the update...
I too absolutely believe in miracles, and the power of priesthood and healing. Thinking of you and praying for you daily. So glad Chemo isn't as bad as it used to be. My mom had Cancer when I was in 1st grade. It was brutal back then. Glad you have such great company in Arizona. XO And you would look great bald. : )

Lindsay Barnes said...

So glad you updated your blog. I've been checking it all week. Worrying and thinking about you daily. You so got this. You are such a fighter. When you want something you go for it whole heartedly! I was just thinking about all of the difficult challenges you have overcome in your life and all of the many wonderful accomplishments you have achieved. SO many, and all with such grace and positivity. Knowing you and your determination you'll be here forever :)! We all need you, I need you! You are such an amazing friend, the best actually. Know how much you and your sweet family are loved, thought of and prayed for. Love, love you! Beez

Ana said...

Keep fighting cancer cause you are stronger than it! Sending prayers for you and your whole family from Brazil! God is watching us all and blessing us constantly!

Evelyn said...

Oh Jen! I'm thinking of you every day. I'm praying for you and I couldn't agree more with your thoughts regarding miracles and healing. I just refuse to believe otherwise. You are one in a million! You are not the average case scenario. You are amazing in every way and I pray for you to feel calm and peace during this "new life" you are experiencing. I'm heartbroken to know that you are facing such a trial, but I have all the faith in the world that you will prevail! love you!

Pat L said...

So happy to see your update.
Jen, you are blessed with a valiant spirit and I know that all the powers of earth and heaven are fighting this thing with you. May your faith sustain and strengthen you as you go through these treatments and never forget how precious you are & how much we love and pray for you always.
Love,
Aunt Pat L.

Jek said...

Change your eating. That would be first on my list. Go 100% crazy with the way you eat. Start researching everything about green smoothies. Make sure you really really get the right info. Our bodies are meant to be healed. Food can heal. I believe it wholeheartedly.

Chase and Teresa said...

Jen, I think you're right on with how much chemo has changed since we were young. They've researched and learned so much for treating cancer. Who's to say how much the treatment can change and better those year estimates they're giving you. So you keep up your great attitude and fight this thing, and we'll keep praying for you, your family, doctors, and researchers. ��

meghan said...

Jen you are so amazingly positive and inspirational! I think about you and your family everyday. If anyone can beat this, it is you! You are such a great example to me and please know that you are in my prayers daily!

Sonia said...

Hi Jen, you don't know, but I have posted before. I came across your blog through a mutual friend, who I cannot even recall:) I want you to know that although we do not know each other, my little family is praying for you and your sweet family. Continue to have faith and rely on the Lord for that peace and comfort that only He can give. It seems like you have an amazing husband, so lean on him. Continue to be strong~you are a mama! love to you, and I will continue to read updates. I'm sure we have met in the pre-existence:) Hugs! Sonia Evans

Bekah Shakespear said...

It was SO good to see you tonight! Thanks for letting us drop in. You look great and I have no doubt you are gonna kick this cancer junk in the butt! :) We love you guys!

Lisa said...

We really are so alike. I refer to my life before as "pretumor or precancer". Our lives were different before. Like I've told you, don't focus on the prognosis. It's not up to us, it's up to Him. Everything will work out for the best. I'm glad chemo and radiation are going well so far. My bad side effects didn't start until I was on post maintenance chemo, so hopefully the same will be for you. Take care. I think about you a lot and strangely enough, I think you are helping me by going through this as well.

Kris and BJ said...

BJ informed me on what is going on and I have been following your blog. I have kept you in my thoughts and prayers and I have been strengthened by your attitude and faith. Miracles happen and with God in charge, anything is possible!

Unknown said...

Jen - Tiffany passed your blog on to me and I have been checking it regularly for updates. Just want you to know that I am sending prayers your way and think of you and the family often. You are an amazing mother and woman and I have faith that you will be with your family for many years to come. God bless!

Mrs. Erika (from Wade's 2nd grade year)

Selena and Anna said...

You write so beautifully Jen. I, too believe in the power of prayer and the will to live. You have to remain strong for yourself and your friends. You have already shown that you are a fighter and you just keep up that spirit. Allow others to support you during this time so that you can focus on healing and on your family. You remain in my prayers and I know there are still many Annie & Isabel fans that continue to keep you and your family in their thoughts and prayers. xoxo

Anna

Our Family said...

Jake and I have been following your blog and we are so impressed with your positive attitude and your strength. As many have said, God is in control, he knows you and knows what you are going through. He is a God of miracles, so you just have to keep the faith. Our family is praying for you and you are constantly in our thoughts. You have an amazing support system, hang in there. We know you can win this.

Jake and Brandy Cutright

Shelley said...

Keep fighting! You are in my prayers! From one mom to another ... keep fighting!!

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang tough and keep fighting! Let those around you help. You have a beautiful family. You can do this!

Lorette said...

Wishing you strength to keep fighting...cancer sucks and you can kick its butt. Sending you prayers.

leah said...

Jennifer- you have been in my thoughts a lot lately... you should research studies done on massive amounts of vitamin c.. my mom told me a few years ago that it was said to completely get rid of cancer in some studies. I know you're willing to try anything at this point.. so I thought id put it out there :)

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Jen! Keep up the fight, we are praying for you.
Rachel Costle and family

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!!! I absolutely believe in miracles as a nurse I see them everyday. Keep fighting but most importantly keep prayong praying praying. God is in the business of miracles ask and you shall receive. Ask his angels to intercede on your behalf, you love your family hard. Don't be afraid of your cancer face it in the face and shout " in the name of Jesus Christ I command you cancer to be gone from my body" you just keep fighting and show it who's boss. God has amazing plans for you and your family just keep the faith. When the nights are long, days are hard and you feel like crap just keep the faith keep praising Jesus and thanking him for all you have. Thank him for the cancer and the amazing miracle you are going to be so that others will get to know him. I believe without a doubt you will live to see your children grow up and to meet your children. I stand with you in prayer I lift you and will cover you in prayer. I don't know you or your family or there needs but Jesus does and that is all that matters. I live in Canada and I will make sure all my friends, local churches and even strangers know your story and know to pray for the Ropers. God Bless You ! God Bless you ! God Bless you! You will beat this, you got this beaten in the name of Jesus you will be healed