Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hair is Gone

I probably should not have said anything about my hair, in my last post, because it started falling out the very next day and continued falling out in clumps.  Anyone who has delivered a baby can relate.  When you are 3-6 months post partum it feels like you might go bald with all the hair loss--this was that, but a hundred times worse and I really did go bald ;).

I didn't know what to expect even though my doctors and their nurses tried to tell me.  It is one of those things you can't really understand until you go through it yourself.  I did not think losing my hair would be a big deal, but it was.  I was an emotional wreck during the days leading up to the shaving of my head.  I cried.  I cried hard.  I grieved my hair.  It might sound dramatic, but I grieved the gigantic clumps of my hair that fell out.

I think I felt so emotional about it all because it is another indication that I have brain cancer.  Besides the relatively easy surgery and recovery all I have to remind me of the tumor in my brain are the seizures and hair loss.  I do not enjoy my daily trips to radiation, but they are pretty harmless and not painful in the slightest.  Losing my hair was painful.  It literally hurt my head until it came out (think of a really sunburned scalp) and emotionally hurt my heart.  A piece of me was falling out.  It is really weird to look at a head and see 1/3 of it bald and realize it is MY head.
I really have a whole new awareness and sympathy towards women with breast cancer.

By the time Jess and I went wig shopping on Wednesday, I was ready to let all of my hair go.  Wig shopping was fun!  In a couple of seconds I went from 1/3 of my hair missing to long luxurious locks that will take 10 years to grow on my own :).  I ended up with 3 really fun wigs!


The best part of the wigs is I only have to bring them into the wig shop every 6 weeks for a shampoo.  Now that, my friends, is a girl's dream come true!!  No hair washing?!  YES!

Thursday was it...head shaving day.  Matt and the boys decided to shave their heads with me.  Seth and Trent were excited to do it, Wade took a little bit of persuasion ($10 bucks from Matt, under the table, that I had no clue about.)  I did not want to risk a hair color change from my Rylee girl so she stayed at the length she is at :).  Casey bugs is already a baldy so no need to do anything more to him!

Head shaving day was anticipated and I was ready to go.  Matt did the honors and it went well.






I am still not used to the way I look bald.  It is strange to look at myself in the mirror.  I do know there is no way I could have left my longer hair and grow back the bald part--I have lost too much from radiation.  I would have had to even it out at some point and cut my long hair REALLY short anyway.

I was really worried I might scare my kids when they saw me bald, but they have not been too affected.  Case still gets the same gummy grin every time he looks at me, and the rest of them look at me the same too.  Seth told me he "is worried that people will make fun of me."  Bless his little heart, I told him "no one will make fun of mommy because they know I shaved my head because I am sick."  He seemed satisfied with that response.  I love the innocence of a child.  While I'm afraid I'm going to scare him, he only cares that others are nice to me.

So, I'm adjusting.  One thing that never changes is...life goes on.  With or without you and your trials, it will still go on for others.  It is a curse and a blessing all in one.  Time heals everything.  It has been 5 days since my hair has been gone and I feel like I have never had hair.  It could be a lot worse--a phrase I am becoming very familiar with.

I love my family and friends.  I love the ward and neighborhood I live in.  I am very thankful for my doctor's.  I am thankful to have brain cancer right now--a time when they make great advances everyday.  Mostly, I am grateful for my Father in Heaven who knows me and carries me through each day, prompts others to be there for me when I need it and wants me to be happy.  I am happy.

24 comments:

Amy Y said...

Jen, it is strange but the first picture I saw of you bald looked so natural. I don't know why but I think you look absolutely perfect. You have such a beautiful face and it is shining in every one of these pictures. Love you. Thinking and praying for you always.

Unknown said...

You are so absolutely lovely! I am praying for you and for your sweet family. I love the bald boys, what a sweet gesture! You really do looks beautiful woman! Thank you for your amazing testimony too, what a powerful thing to know God is holding you up. Sending love and prayers!

Lindsay Barnes said...

Jen, Jen, your post made me cry. I am so sorry for this emotional and physical roller coaster you are going through. Your attitude is SO inspiring! I am so thankful (for a million reasons) that you are my friend! What a sweetheart Seth is- so worried about his Mama. Of course your sweet kiddos barley noticed, they love you for the caring, involved, protective, loving, fun, amazing Mother you are to them! And who needs hair anyway when you look so dang good without it :)! Seriously, you are the best. 2 weeks and 2days... I'll be thinking of you every step of the way! Love you so much.

Lindsay Barnes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jae Price said...

I am in Marie's ward- though you don't know me; you are in my prayers!

You are stunning w/ or w/out hair! You are truly an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey and testimony!

Kyle and Shelly said...

You don't know me but I am a friend of Jessica Armstrong's in Alabama. I just want you to know that you are in our families' prayers since Jess shared with us your diagnosis. We pray for your healing, resiliency, and strength for both you and your family.
Blessings-
Shelly Chandler

Heidi Tutton said...

You are absolutely an inspiration of strength and determination. You are beautiful, always have been, and always will be. Hang in there sweetie, you have many people on both sides of the veil pulling for you and you can see it in your spirit. You shine!

Heidi Tutton

The Swindlehurst's said...

Jen- Im so sorry that you had to and are having to go through this. This post just made me cry and cry and I think its because I feel like I had a relationship with your hair..ha ha I know that sounds really weird but you know what I mean. Your hair is what made us such good friends, your hair let us have so many good conversations while it was being processed under the dryer,and of course your hair was always so fun to color. By the way if I would have known you looked so good with purple we would have had to do that many years ago!:) You look beautiful Jen, you amaze me everyday. Thank you for making me want to be a better person!Love ya

Kristen said...

You rock. What a beautiful family picture; so priceless. Thank you for sharing your story, I am cheering for you back here in Utah.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jen, u look absolutely beautiful! Thank u so much for sharing the pictures and all your feelings about what u r going through. I love u so much and want u to know we r praying for u guys! U really look amazing, the wigs r darling but bald is a GREAT look for u!! U r one of the strongest I know and a true example of faithfulness to the Lord. Love u!
Becky R.

My Name is JACY said...

Jen,

This is Jacy- Seth's fiance. We went out to dinner a few weeks ago :)

I just found your blog and you have had me in tears. Goose pimples line my arms. You are such an amazing pillar of strength! You are so beautiful... I admire your grace and positivity during such a confusing and scary time.

I just think the world of you and I can't wait to get to know you better :) We are so excited to live close to you and Matt!

Sending you all the love I can tonight :) I'll be following your blog... thank you for your honesty and spirit. And I totally concur with everyone else... you look fantastic :)

XOXO

Jacy

Mel said...

Inspirational - I came over from Jacy's blog and it makes me realise my trials are so small in comparison to yours! I love the purple wig - at least you can find the positives in all of this!

Japolina said...

I just came over from Jacy's blog too! I sending you healing vibes and hugs from Miami!

Lindsey said...

Hi Jen,
Oh I hope you see this. My name is Lindsey and my husband was diagnoised with Brian cancer in February. He is 30. We feel many of the same feelings I am sure. I found your blog through Jacy's (My Name is Jacy) and I just felt so compelled to contact you. I am already late for work, but I hvae to say, I look forward to reading more. Much more! But they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and your smile gives me hope! You and my sweet Brian both give me so much hope. He just finished 6 weeks of radiation a week ago and we are so ready to have some normal time! Brian's cancer doesn't respond to chemo so we just have to wait and see what happens with it now. His surgery did remove most of the tumor. I would love to hear and share some thoughts with you! Please have a great day!!

Love, Lindsey
www.actuallyeverafter.com

Lindsey said...

oh gosh, did you see that? In my last comment I wrote "Brian cancer" My husband is Brian, why does that have to look so much like brain! haha

Lacey said...

Hi Jen, I read your blog about a month ago when I saw that Vanessa Barben had commented about you on Facebook. Ness is my best friend from way back in middle school until now! We of course hung out with your Matt several times over those years in middle school and high school. You have a great husband! I saw Jacy writing about you on her blog today and I just had to share my thoughts with you. (Jacy is a longtime family friend...Fabulous girl!)
I am so sorry for all that you and your cute family are going through. My heart just breaks for you guys. You are an amazing person. You are so brave and your outlook on your life is wonderful. I cannot imagine going through this trial in my own life. Then I realized that we all have our own trials to conquer in this life and we learn to do whatever we need to do in order to enjoy this life and work through those trials. Though they are still our trials, we can learn to relay on our Savior and turn it into a learning experience and make the changes in our lives to adapt to that challenge. And find joy in our lives despite that trial. I am going blind...only 15% of my eyesight remains. This is definitely a trial for me but to others it sounds like one they would not survive. I look at your trial and feel that way. But by your outlook on life you have made it into something that is definitely hard but you seem to be finding that joy in life still. I think this makes you an amazing person and I don't even know you :) Thank you for putting your story out here to share. Stay strong! Loves!
PS Tell Matt hello! He would have known me as Lacey Ligtermoet. (You don't even need to try saying that last name!)

Jess said...

You look amazing!!! Love your wigs, so cute!! We pray for you & your family every night during family prayer.

Janae said...

You dont know me, but i want you to know you arent alone. I had cancer 20 years ago. I remember the day I got a wig. As hard as it was to loose my hair, i was so excited to get a wig and not have to wash it. My sister got married while I wa wearing my wig. I remember doing my wig the night before and putting it away and telling my sisters proudly "now I dont have to do my wig tomarrow. I'm all ready" Thanks for sharing your experience

Janae said...

You dont know me, but i want you to know you arent alone. I had cancer 20 years ago. I remember the day I got a wig. As hard as it was to loose my hair, i was so excited to get a wig and not have to wash it. My sister got married while I wa wearing my wig. I remember doing my wig the night before and putting it away and telling my sisters proudly "now I dont have to do my wig tomarrow. I'm all ready" Thanks for sharing your experience

Evelyn said...

Jen, once again this post has me astounded by your strength and spirit. First of all, I agree with all of the above comments regarding your beauty and naturalness, despite the loss of hair, which is a tremendous loss! I'm sure particularly for you as you have gorgeous hair.
But also, wanted you to comment on your last paragraph about how life goes on for others and for you... despite your trials. I just wanted you to know that there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not thinking of you and all that you are going through! It may seem untrue when you see friends post all about their life and kids and how cheery everything is. I sometimes feel guilty posting when I know you are going through such an ordeal. I hope you know...you are always in my thoughts and prayers! Wish I were closer to be of more help to you! Love to you!!!

Julia said...

I left a message on your facebook page. I had a brain tumor too.

Selena and Anna said...

Jen….you have me in tears. You are so beautiful with or without hair but what is most beautiful is your spirit and the love of your family. That last picture with your whole family and their shaved heads sent chills. What a blessing to have your whole family to support you through each step. You are an amazing role model to them and to anyone fighting cancer. I also want to thank you for sharing your story because you bring great perspective in life to so many and you also help those who are going through a similar experience. I continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way.

xoxo
Anna

Haley said...

Every time I look at that picture of you and Rylee grabbing your face I cry. It is so precious. I love it. Your family is too cute. You are very lucky to have such great kids and a sweet, supportive husband. Even though I'm in Utah, I want you to know I think of you every day and at my bedside nightly I am fervently praying to my Father in Heaven for you and your family. I love you lots.
Haley

Erin said...

Jen we're thinking of you here in Oregon and keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. You are absolutely beautiful inside and out and one of the biggest inspirations I have for dealing with and enduring trials with faith and a positive attitude. I know you're example of this will touch so many people!