Monday, February 11, 2013

My Heart

I decided to title my post accordingly because my heart has given this brain of mine a rest while working in overdrive the past several weeks (and Valentines Day is quickly approaching.)  I have little to report concerning the cancer in my brain.  I had a MRI mid January that caused some heart ache, well more like, heart confusion that led to heart ache.

The MRI department has yet to figure out their record keeping and to make matters worse, there are now THREE Jennifer Roper's.  UGH!  The staff says all the right things: "I understand how frustrating this must be" and "want to straighten it out very much" blah, blah, blah.  I believe they care, but there is NO WAY they get how important these MRI's are to me.

Each time I get a MRI, they have created a new patient number for me in order to keep me separate from the other Jen's.  Seems like a great idea?  It's not.  When my oncologist tries to pull up my old scans to compare with my new scans, she can't because they have another patient number on them and there is this little law known as HIPAA.  My last appointment went as follows:

"Okay, look at this scan" (MRI of my tumor 2 months ago)
"Okay, let me close out this one and remember what it looks like."  Okay, hang on, what was your number, okay here it is, okay so here's today's scan.  Well it's kind of hard to compare these."
 (it's like trying to compare eyebrow hairs--I'm not kidding)

The scans look the same...actually, the new one looked bigger.

"Does the new scan look bigger?"  I asked my doctor.

"No, well, I don't think so, I mean not really, the radiologists will look and compare the two and measure them and I'll call you if there has been any growth."

"Well what do you think?" I asked.

 "I don't think it has grown."

Wow...I feel comforted.  She'll call me if there has been any growth???  I didn't even fathom that would be in the realm of possibility at this point!!!  It better not grow!  The thing just got cut out 4 months ago for crying out loud!

When I left my first appointment, my tumor had shrunk...or so we thought.  Now it might have grown?  Fortunately, I did not receive a phone call from anyone so, I guess, its safe to assume the tumor has not grown.  

It took me a few days to shake off the appointment just in time to see the movie "The Impossible."  Big mistake.  I'm still traumatized.  If you haven't seen the movie and are planning to, skip over the next paragraph.  

A family of 5 (3 boys) is on a vacation in Thailand.  There is a Tsunami.  The family is split up--oldest boy with the mom, 2 youngest with dad.  Through immense trial and tribulation the family is reunited at the end.  During the movie, the mom is the worst off.  She almost dies several times.  The family is tested in ways beyond one's worst imagination.

All the mom wants to do is live for her family.  I have 3 boys the exact ages of the boys in the movie, I am essentially dying and all I want to do is live for my family which is something that many take for granted all of the time.  I didn't, couldn't, sleep for days after seeing that movie.  It was too much like my life.  I kept seeing that lady fighting for her life.  Oh, I forgot to mention it is based on a true story.

Now that I can sleep again, my biggest heart ache of the past few weeks happened just a few days ago...the first of my "cancer friends" passed away.  I'm heart broken.  I barley knew Trisha.  She was the cousin of one of my high school friends and we only exchanged a few Facebook messages, but she was my friend.  She had brain cancer.  She lived in Utah.  She was 34 and now she's gone.

I think of her often during my days and feel an empty feeling.  How do you mourn someone you didn't know?  I'm mourning someone that died from the very disease I'm suffering from.  I'm mourning the idea that might be me someday. I'm trying not to, but it is really hard.  When I read her obituary, her Facebook page or think about her family it is so overwhelmingly hard to breathe.  I cry.  I sob.  I want to scream.

Valentines Day is the Holiday reserved for hearts.  My heart has been aching, but I know where to go and Who to talk to when I am down.  Our Heavenly Father has been taking special care of me these past few weeks.  

The day Trisha died was exceptionally hard for me and I found myself thinking, "How could Heavenly Father worry about me today?  He has to be there for Trisha's family and everyone else in the world with bigger problems than mine."  I pulled into my neighborhood and got the mail.  Inside was a note from a lady in my old ward that said "Just thinking about you today.  Hoping you feel the love our Heavenly Father has for you."  Coincidence?  You might think so, I do not.  I got another note that day that was also simple, heart warming and straight from our Heavenly Father.  A mini-miracle to help me...little old me, one of billions...to remind me He knows who I am and knows when I'm hurting.

He is there for you ALWAYS.  The second my faith started wavering, I was pulled right back to where I needed to be.  I still feel the prayers and love from so many of you out there.  You can't imagine how comforting it feels when I'm told that prayers are being said on my behalf.  I love them all, but my favorites are from the primary kids.  

I was in the Primary Presidency until I was diagnosed and still have mom's tell me their little and big kids include me in their family/meal/personal prayers all the time.  That's got to be worth some extra points, right? ;)  The ache in my heart is being replaced with gratitude and love and that could not be possible without Him...for this I know to be true with ALL of my heart.   

15 comments:

Lindsay Barnes said...

Oh Rass, I love you so much. My heart is aching. You are dealing with so much turmoil, yet you are so strong and faithful. I am so sorry about your friend. I want to cry, sob and scream for you. Mostly though, I want to pray that you continue to feel that peace and love from our Heavenly Father, I want to cheer you on, I want to let you know that you can do this. He does worry about you and your family everyday. You are NOT one in a billion, you are so special to Him as you are to all the people you touch daily. You have the most beautiful heart... I've seen it touch others so many times, including my own. I feel so grateful for you. Love you friend.

Japolina said...

Hang in there Jen. Sorry about your friend and your medical records fiasco. Is it possible for you to get copies of your scans and take them with you when you go?

I'm sending you healing vibes!
xoxo

Dana Marchant said...

I love your heart. I love that you are still looking to the positive. I love your commitment to fight. I love how you can be open & share the good & bad. I wish you lots of strength for your heart.

Gena said...

I understand the certain uncertainty. I understand the rawness left from the movie too.ugh. You're not crazy to be so hard hit by your new friends passing. She was your sister in crises and when you have such an illness, you don't have to have shared much time together or exchange a lot of information because you already know each others experiences, reactions, feelings, hopes, dreams etc. a little bit of hope died with her. Take her inspiration and keep,your eye on the miracles. That's okay. Thanks for sharing your experience and insights. You're like and undercover celebrity to those of us who read these. :) BTW thanks for getting up in front of the ward last testimony meeting. My kids finally got to see who it is they've been praying for. :D

Raelynn said...

Jen I can't imagine what this could be like for you and to watch that movie I couldn't. But the perspective you have is amazing and trials and suffering you are going threw most of us will ever know or understand I do pray for you and your family everyday and my children ask who we are praying for. Jen we don't know each other as well but I really do think you are so amazing and can't wait to get to know you more:-) (I know I just posted on Instagram but I hadn't read your post yet)

Evelyn said...

Jen... I love you so much! I pray for you twice every day... morning and night. I think about you all the time and I'm sad-- very sad to hear this news of your friend and all the chaos at the hospital. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I know you don't know me, but I stumbled across your blog through a mutual friend. I saw you at Costco today, and I wanted to run and give you a hug and tell you how amazing I think you are. But, then I thought twice because I didn't want to scare you away. But, I feel like I can tell you how much I adore you behind my computer screen, its a lot easier. ;-) I am blown away by your strength and courage. Reading your blog and your words helps to strengthen my testimony. You truly are an inspiration!! I am praying for you!! xoxo

becca said...

Heavenly FAther is sending tender mercies to your rescue! I know he is mindful of YOU and your family!

"A loving Savior was sending me a most personal and timely message of comfort and reassurance... Some may count this experience as simply a nice coincidence, but I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence." David A Bednar

i love your honesty and testimony. You are so brave!
hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with this post. You are one VERY strong woman! This post gives me hope for my life, as I am dealing with my own set of trials (that I see has hard, but not nearly as difficult as yours are right now), and I am finding it very hard to feel my Heavenly Father's love, and am feeling extremely alone. Your words have made me realize that I need to work harder to feel His love, and they have given me hope that as I work to feel it, I will be comforted and things can only get better. Thank you. Thank you so much. You are in my prayers.

mccaffreyr said...

Jen...you have such a beautiful, big heart! Keep fighting and staying so strong! He is with you and helping you fight. You have so many people praying for you and I know your heart and your family can feel it!

Selena and Anna said...

It is always hard to see someone you care about pass away….especially when it is from the same cancer that you have. You are a better person for knowing her and I'm sure she felt comfort in having you to share her experience with. I am sure you felt a strong bond to her because she was someone who "got" what you are going through and losing her makes you think of what your own fate might be. Always remember what a strong person you are, though. You are a fighter and your positive attitude will do you wonders. At the same time, also remember that it is so very healthy to mourn your old self and all that you have been through. When you are not feeling strong, let others lift you up like those sweet children who are praying for you:-) Hugs Jen!! Know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna

Kelly Nordfelt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Nordfelt said...

Jenn, I just saw this from Amanda's Facebook post. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family!

-Kye and Kelly Nordfelt

Brooke said...

You are amazing Jen - your posts make me want to be a better person x100! Thank you so much for writing with so much heart, I know I am not the only person who benefits from reading your words. I was wondering if you knew about Trisha...I didn't know how much you guys communicated or if I should tell you. She also is an amazing person and taught our family so much about love and unwavering faith. I will keep you in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I'm sure you don't remember me but I went to SUU and heard about your story through Heidi Venuti! I can't imagine what you are going through and I amazed at your strength. Every time I read your blog I cry and I'm amazed at the way you put your feelings into words. I've worked as a nurse for the past 10 years and I have seen many miracles. If theres one thing that rings true is the body won't give up as long as the heart and mind stay strong. I hope you will continue to beat this cancer and stay as positive as you can be. Many hugs and prayers.
Lindsey Buhler