Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Phoenix Half Marathon

I struggled with the title of this post because the half marathon, I ran 2 weeks ago, was so much more than a "half marathon"....it was proof that "I can do hard things", "be comforted and take courage", the collaboration of "Team Jen" and more.  I have run, literally, thousands of miles in my life, but have never felt the way I did during the 13.1 on March 2, 2013.

After completing radiation in November 2012, I had little hope of ever running again.  I could barely walk down my hall, let alone run 13.  It was another reality I felt slipping through my fingers with my diagnosis last fall.  I prayed for strength every night and each time a song came on the radio from my playlist I would, still, feel that electric current charge through my veins and could think of nothing but  running again.  When I was weak and healing, I told some of my friends that it was ridiculous I had signed up for this race, I would never be trained in time.  I couldn't shake the desire to try to run and to "be comforted to take courage."

From the beginning, my doctors were excited I was a runner--especially a marathon runner..."We like runners, you know what it takes to push through and work for something even when it's hard."  I laughed it off back then, clueless as to what was in store for me after all, "I can do hard things."  My definition of "hard" has drastically changed since then.

I truly never believed I'd have quite the mountain to climb like I did in order to train for the half marathon.  The training sessions started very slow.  One slow walk around my block.  Two times a week.  Three times a week.  Two times around my block.  Three times a week.  Running 1 min, walking 4 min, 3 times a week. "I can do hard things."  I am strong.  I have the courage to do this.  I have to do this.  No one can do this for me.  Days turned into weeks, blocks turned into miles.  I was alive again!

When I run, I feel like I do not have a brain tumor.  I do not have cancer.  I have an entire life ahead of me.  My new perspective on life makes running even better then before.  The air, the sights, the feelings.  The very idea that I am alive to run.  I have this incredible body given to me to experience this life.  My body can heal and be strong enough to do these things that many thought would be impossible for me to do again.  I can do whatever I set my mind to.

Running is infectious.  Its tangible and its an incredible way to support those in need.  My niece created "Team Jen" based upon my love for running.  T-shirts, a loving family and friends and a whole lot of support has humbled and astounded me.  I think it would take days to tell you all the incredible acts of love and kindness that have been shown to my family and I through all of this.  It is incredible.


One thing I know for sure is that I am loved.  My Heavenly Father knows me.  He knows what I am doing and knows when I am hurting.  He wraps His arms around me and carries me whenever I need it.  Have the courage to ask Him for help.  He is there.

I knew I was ready for the race.  Matt and I went to the EXPO to pick up our numbers.  I love the EXPO.  The energy and excitement you feel rumbling there cannot be matched.  We felt it and I relished in it.  The race would soon be here.


Race day.  We had to wake up at 3:45 am and I, like I do every race day, promised myself that this would be the last time I EVER wake up this early again (until the next race ;).)  Matt's crazy driving skills, nervous energy and a little pre-running warm up got us to the starting line with more than enough time to take pictures, chat and decide when we would strip our sweats down to our running attire.

6:30 am race begins.  I felt at peace.  The many supporters I had on and off the course allowed me to drift into my own thoughts.  I ran the best race of my life.  I barely listened to my music...just watched other runners, spectators, the landscape and just ran.  I was doing it.  3 days shy from the 6 month anniversary of my brain surgery, I was running a half marathon.







Many other runners commented on the shirt I (and the rest of "Team Jen") ran in.  The front read "Team Jen" and "No One Fights Alone" while the back read "I Can Do Hard Things."

My goal was to run the race in less then 2 hours and 30 min.  I was hoping to get closer to 2 hours and 15 min.  I completed the Phoenix Half Marathon in 2 hours and 11 min!  I ran into the loving arms of many and was followed in by many more.  It was the perfect day.  "I can do hard things" and I can do them well.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations Jen! I'm excited that you beat the time you were hoping for. I think we'd be great running partners. I need to start stepping it up to get ready for my marathon training. Where did you get your shirts made? I'd love to have an inspiring shirt to run in.

Japolina said...

Congratulations. What an inspiring post! Keep on running Jen!

Alisa said...

You are amazing Jen. I think of you often. Praying always...