"This is it, " I kept thinking to myself. I had spent the last 4 months following Jeff Galloway's schedule and method, tried my best to eat well and had been "carb-loading" for 2 days. I was on my way to run my first marathon.
Ben picked me up, we got, my friend, Amy and started the drive to downtown Phoenix. We arrived with plenty of time, parked and hopped on the shuttle buses (school buses) to be taken to the starting line. The three of us exchanged lots of last minute ideas and comments on what we were going to do during the race, what we had done in training, etc.
It was packed at the starting line, even though it was 1 1/2 hours until start time. We took our time stretching, eating and checking our bags. I felt good. I was ready for this. 15 minutes until start time, we thought we would head to our designated starting point and I can't find my I-pod!
I freaked and panicked! My adrenaline began to rush as I frantically ran around the stretching/ resting area to find it. I didn't know if I could do this without my i-pod. I had trained from day one with it and it had been years since I had ran without one. I couldn't find it. I really, couldn't find it. I began to think, "they always say a true runner doesn't need music." That thought didn't comfort me in the least bit. I didn't care if I would be a "true runner" in some older person's book I NEEDED MY I-POD!
Just then I spot Ben and he had found it! I could not believe it. I hugged him and told him that I have never loved him more then I did right at that moment. He laughed and knew I was grateful and, boy, was I ever grateful. My heart slowed down a little bit and it was just 5 minutes until starting time now.
The gun started and we were off. It was 7:40 am, the sun was rising and the temp was about 55 degrees. It was already warm. I started strong. Almost losing my i-pod had gotten my blood flowing and anytime I had even a tinge of tiredness come over me, I would just remind myself that, "at least i have my i-pod." That thought did wonders for me during the first 10 miles.
I was feeling good and strong. 10 miles seemed to fly by, I couldn't believe it. My time was good, my thoughts were good, the weather was good, I was accomplishing something I had always wanted to do.
Just before mile 10, the race trail went around a corner and began to run straight into a fairly strong breeze with the bright sun beating down on me. It was physically draining. My battle begun. It was so early in the race to begin battling, but I couldn't help it. I was able to control my thoughts pretty well for a few miles. I crossed mile 13 at about 1 hour 54 minutes and was thrilled to be "on pace" for my 4 hour goal. It gave me some hope and a small surge of adrenaline, but most of those thoughts were over-powered with wishes that I had only signed up for the half marathon. I kept thinking that I would be done if I had signed up for that race.
I had to, literally, leave those thoughts behind and press on through the rest. I had my ups and downs until about mile 18. I had trained, I had read the book and thought I knew how it was going to be when I ran the race, but I didn't know. I didn't know it was going to be this hard. I have never battled myself this hard, ever.
After mile 18, I kept thinking, "I will just walk the rest of the way, I don't care about my time anymore." It took me a couple of miles to really get over the time thing. I am such a competitive person and I like to say that I NEVER give up. I felt like I was failing, but I made peace with myself. "This isn't about anyone else, it is only about me, I don't care what others think about my time, " were the thoughts that helped me decide that beating 4 hours didn't matter anymore.
By mile 20 there was the light at the end of the tunnel--so close yet so far. At least I was allowing myself to take more walk breaks. It was enough to get me through it. There were SO MANY times that I just wanted to quit, to stop the pain, to stop the battle. In the very least, I wanted to walk the rest of the way. I knew I could walk the last 6 miles in about an hour, but that thought didn't comfort me much. I didn't want to be doing this race for another hour.
Those thoughts were enough to carry me through the rest of the race. I ran the entire last mile. I knew the end was so close. Running across the finish line at 4 hours 23 minutes was bitter sweet. I wanted so badly to beat 4 hours and thought I had prepared to do so. The sweetest part was that I was DONE. I was DONE. I could barely walk at that point, but I was done.
The marathon was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was harder then giving birth to my children. I have never had to battle myself like that before and I feel like a different person because of it. You learn a lot about yourself when you do something so personally challenging. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I am a little disappointed in myself. I thought I was stronger then the thoughts I had during the race. I really thought I could have accomplished my goal.
I guess, for me, the goal should have always been to finish--which I did. I finished the marathon and for that I am proud. I had had plans to do another marathon this fall in Utah, but I don't think I will. I am not saying that I will never run a marathon again because I am pretty sure I will. The competitive person inside of me will not let this be it, but I think I need a break for awhile.
My family and friends have been such an incredible support to me through this all and I need to focus on something else for awhile. I could not have accomplished this without the love of so many especially Matt and Jess. The two of them had countless hours of "kid duty" while Ben and I trained. They never complained and were always so supportive. Their loving words and seeing them jump up and down and yell my name as I ran to the finish line was incredible. Thank you so much, I love you guys.




There is a chapter in Jeff Galloway's book titled "A Mental Tour of the Marathon," which I probably should have spent more time reading. :) In that chapter there is a quote that I, absolutely, loved. It says:"This is a significant achievement that you accomplished with your own resources. No one can ever take this achievement away."
I did it. I ran a marathon.
21 comments:
After reading that, I feel like I have run a marathon too, so I guess I can check that off my list of things to do before I die:) Really, this was fun to read and I want you to know how truly proud of you I am. A marathon is such an accompishment and you're right, you did it and no one can ever take that away from you. Maybe one day we can do it together, but I think break is what you need. Love you and congrats you really can do anything you set your mind to.
4:23 is a FANTASTIC time! Congrats on the huge accomplishment!
I'm really impressed. Good for you!
Congratulations!!! That is awesome!!!I loved hearing your story.
So glad I got to share this accomplishment with you. You were awesome! Really! So very few people in the world will ever accomplish what you just did. Revel in it!
Way to go Jen! That is awesome. I was training for a marathon a few years ago and about 2 months into training I fell and broke my ankle. Since then I really haven't gotten serious about doing it again, but you are such a great example! I'm jealous of your amazing accomplishment!
You are awesome! What an accomplishment! I can only dream of doing something like that.
You are AWESOME! I have no desire whatsoever to run that long, so I admire your dedication and desire to achieve your goal! My sister Hannah runs marathons too and I just think that is amazing. I am more of an instant gratification, short racer kinda girl! That is just so great, for what its worth I am so proud of you!! I wish we could have been there to cheer you on!
Way to go Jen!! That brought a tear to my eye :) I was laughing to myeself while reading this because I seriously had the exact same thoughts as you, it's such a mental game! I can relate to you with the i-pod thing. My stupid i-pod died after MILE ONE (I even charged it all night) plus it POURED freezing rain the entire race!!! it was torture, ha! Anyways, I am so happy and proud of you. I look forward to seeing in in St. George in October :) You'll be back for more ha!!! Congrats again... you did AWESOME!
Suzy
Great job Jen! I always see you at the gym upstairs...but we miss you in the class for us non-runner peons. :)
-Jennie N.
AMAZING!!! Congrats Jen that is so awesome. I can't imagine the demons in your head at the 18 mile plus point screaming at you to stop and quit. My flat feet would never let me run 26.2 miles in a single race. However I did let Jeremy talk me into doing a Sprint Triathlon at the end of March. I'm in training and you are my inspiration :)
That is so awesome! Congrats on such a huge accomplishment. You're such an inspiration -- how many people can say they've had 3 kids AND run a marathon before they were 30?! Your post about it was great, too, so glad you decided to share it with us! :)
Wow Jen. I am so proud of you! By the way, you are a great writer. To those of us who don't do the running thing, we could never imagine the barriers you would have to overcome to accomplish such a goal!It's really cool that you have this written record of what you experienced in your first marathon! You're so AWESOME!
Love, Mer
You did great Jen! 4:23 is an awsome time! I can't wait until I can run a marathon! I know that you worked really hard for this And you did it! Love, Jocey
I am sooooo impressed! Are you kidding? That was a great time! I can't say I'll ever get that motivated and decide to run something like that, but I think those of you who do are truly amazing!!! Great job. So much time, effort, sweat, time, less sleep, sore muscles, time, and you did it! I think that is admirable that you kept going even when your whole body was telling you to just stop already. So cool, great job!
Yay Jen! You are so awesome! I put running a marathton down as one of the hardest things I have ever accomplished. However, there is no better feeling than when you cross the finish line. Way to go. I wish you lived closer so I could have a running buddy :)
I hope all is well. Tell everyone "hi!"
YES!! You go! I LOVED your honesty! You are an inspiration! I'm VERY impressed!! :)
Congrats! I am the wimp that always signs up for the half marathon and every time I am so grateful when I cross that finish line that I do not have another 13 to go. Congrats!
Even the thought of running a marathon makes my legs hurt:) That's a huge accomplishment to finish it. Good for you!! Hope all is well with your cute little family! It's so good to be in touch with you again...even if it is only by blog:)
You're my hero!! I think I would have just called for an ambulance by the 10th mile. You really should be proud of yourself. That's an AMAZING accomplishment. See you in Cali!!
You ROCK! What an incredible accomplishment-you should be so proud of yourself!
Post a Comment