I have always been scared of spiders, who isn't? When Matt and I moved to Arizona, I knew that scorpions lived here. The thought of ever seeing a scorpion made me shudder, but as the years went on, I NEVER had to live that thought. That is right, we have lived here almost 6 years and I had never even seen a scorpion until this house.How could I be so lucky? My luck has run out and I feel like these disgusting things are making up for lost time. Now I have seen over 100 scorpions--alive and dead. Thankfully, I have only seen that 1 live one inside the house. The rest have been outside.
The reason for the scorpions is that our home sat vacant on the market for over a year before we bought it. There was no pest control and no one walking around inside except for the occasional potential buyer. It made our house seem like a warmer (and better) version of outside.
These repulsive and terrifying creatures have changed part of my life. I refuse to walk around the house at night without shoes on, I have had literal nightmares about them and I am uncomfortable to sit or get into anything that hasn't been thoroughly checked. I have even found myself driving along the street or walking around stores feeling relieved I don't have to worry about a scorpion for a minute because I am not at my house.
Don't get me wrong, I love my new house and it does get better with each passing day that remains (live and inside) scorpion free. We have a good friend taking care of our pest control and it is doing the trick (I have seen lots of dead ones outside.) We have also adapted nightly "black light checks" into our routine.
For whatever reason, scorpions literally glow when a black light (ultraviolet light) is shined on them in the night. It has been my only saving grace and has left me with a little peace when I can shine the light around my kids' rooms and know there isn't a scorpion hiding out somewhere close to them.
Last night ended with some wonderful news--Matt and Wade could not find ONE single scorpion in or outside our entire house with the black light! I couldn't be more ecstatic! They even checked a wall that separates our property from the neighbors (where they have seen up to 30 in one night) and couldn't find them there either.
I hope we are making some serious headway here. I hope the inside scorpion sighting from a couple of weeks ago was my last. Keep your fingers crossed for me. (please!)
9 comments:
Jen - I would also be FREAKIN' out. Congrats on passing one night without any near or far.
YUCK!! We had a similar problem with spiders when we moved into this house. Hopefully they will be completely gone soon!
Now that is not a fun pet. I had one in my house so far and killed him real quick. During my painting I had a wall plate off and he came out through that opening. He was chillin under one of my ceiling can lights. The good news though is that when it comes to scorpions the bigger the better because they are less poisonous.
Are you freaking kidding me? My skin is crawling! Holy crap do I hear you, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Pest control would be at the house weekly! Speaking of house, when do we get to see pics of the new one??
Scoripions, seriuosly?!! That freaks the chills right out of me! Hopefully soon, you will feel more comfortable! EWWW! I would be the same way!
See ya next week!
Linsey
We had the same problem our house has a huge hill in the back of it, and we have vacant lots on both sides...I literally keep scorpion killer in my broom closet,and have used it! AHHH! I feel for you!
I Don't like bugs either. I always get scared around them. Good luck!!!
Just don't forget to check your shoes before putting them on. And good luck! Hate those nasty things.
Oh,... that is a nightmare!! I have only seen two ever! And that was enough for me! I'm glad your enjoying your new home! I want to come and see!:)
Post a Comment