
Summer is short, sweet and SMOLDERING here in AZ which is why (I think) it is only about 8 weeks long. Instead of the typical 12 week summer most of you enjoy, we sweat for 8 weeks and enjoy 2 weeks off in the fall and 2 weeks off in the spring to make up the difference. I, actually, LOVE the schedule and with that being said...Wade started kindergarten last week!
Ever since I found out I was pregnant (or even before) I have been excited for Wade to attend kindergarten all day at the local elementary school. I have been excited because he is ready for more school and he has loved it so much thus far and, most of all, because this allowed a little relief during the day leaving me with only 2 kids. Surprisingly enough it has been REALLY hard to let him go and be gone so long.
As we were getting him ready for the first day he asked, "So, how long am I going to be gone? Like, all day?" (his real words) and I replied, "Yes, you will be at school for the entire day." With which he said, "I will be gone until 5?" and I said, "No, until 3." He said,"How many hours is that?" I said, "About 7." And he said, "That is a long time!" Yes, son that is a long time.
I felt empty without him. As I drove to the gym with my other 2, the car was strangely quiet (which sounds weird since Seth is such a chatterbox) and I had a nagging feeling that something was missing. It made me realize that I have never been away from him on a consistent basis for so many hours EVER! Since he is my first it was a totally weird, sad and unexpected feeling.
Some of the "veteran moms" with 1st graders :) have reassured me that it gets a lot easier and you get used to them being gone. As the week went on, I was able to fall into routine a little better and I am sure it will be much easier as time goes by. It is so weird to let him go. He is away from me more now than he isn't and that is a strange concept to wrap my thoughts around.
On the other hand, it is comforting to know that he LOVES school and ran straight into the playground on the first day and didn't look back. He is anxious to get there on time so he has as much playground time as possible and comes home talking about lunch and recess (typical boy.) I am proud of the little boy he is now and who he is becoming. The truth is this is only the beginning and we have lots of adventures to look forward to.
4 comments:
That is unbelievable to me that he is going to school ALL day! I will be sad when that day comes for Logan too. As much as you miss him, you will get used it and it will make life a lot easier when Rylee comes:)
It's amazing that when the time comes for them to be gone, it's so hard to let them go. I know exactly what you mean!! I'm so glad that he likes school, that makes a big difference.
So glad you're feeling better. Mom was all but on her way down. You're right, Jessica is a lifesaver!
Love ya, Mer
he's getting so darn handsome, i can't believe it!!!
Welcome to the club Jen the numbers just keep getting bigger. haha. Thirty is awesome! You're still just a kid inside and that's what matters.
Post a Comment