Sunday, August 30, 2009

Potty Words

My little Sethie is a one in a million. He is such a sweet boy who loves to cuddle and give hugs. He is always quick to say heart-melting things like, "oh mommy, I LOVE YOU!" He is also (in my completely unbiased opinion :)) very smart. He has always been able to speak well and express his feelings and thoughts clearly.

He can make me laugh one minute and make me want to pull my hair out the next. I know he is only 3 years old and his brain and body are changing and growing so much each day which is why, probably, he mimics a moody, hormonal teenager (hopefully he outgrows this before he is actually a teenager!)

The reason for all this explanation is I have been wanting to do a blog post on his OBSESSION with "potty words" for awhile now. I think it is important to explain how much I love and adore my Seth, but this phase cannot go undocumented. I also think his obsession with these words is a little more than some kids because of his early talking and word ability (at least this is what I tell myself to feel better about it all :)!)

A "potty word" makes any mom cringe when she hears them come from her child's mouth. Among Seth's favorites are poopy and diaper. I know diaper doesn't sound too bad, but the way he says it makes it naughty. He looks at you with a gigantic grin and says, "ddiiiiapperrr!!!" and falls to the floor in explosive giggles making any surrounding children aware he just said a bad word.

Matt and I never let him get away with it and have often taken away privileges when he says these words. He is a stubborn one, though, and usually won't stop doing something until he has decided he wants to-- at any price. I am hoping the novelty of these words will wear off as time goes by, but in the meantime I have to shamefully admit :) that I used his bad habit to my advantage the other day.

We were getting our family pictures taken and I probably don't need to say anymore, especially to those of you who have experienced trying to get a photo of your family made up of any (or all in my case) children under the age of 5. Out of about 100 shots we got 3 where the entire family was LOOKING at the camera (never mind smiling!) And I was thankful for 3!

We then proceeded to try to take single shots of my boys so I could hang them on my wall. Wade was great, my other 2 WOULD NOT cooperate. Trent was a lost cause, but I had a glimmer of hope with Seth.

In the middle of promising him the world in exchange for one smile, I remembered his obsession with potty words. So, without a lot of hesitation (I was desperate!) I said, "Hey Seth, smile you poopy diaper head!" I am sure you can imagine how hilariously funny he thought this was. I don't regret it because his pics turned out amazing! I love them and I would do it again if faced with the choice in the future. I know it wasn't the best example, but he is too little to remember his mommy turned to the dark side of the potty words (thankfully!)

Before potty words:



After potty words:




Thanks Bekah, we love the pics!!!

4 comments:

Cameron and Nonie said...

Okay, that just cracks me up, because my little man will do the same thing all the time. We finally had to resort to pepper on the tongue, although he occasionally requests it. The little stinkers we love so well.

Kristy Martin said...

That is hilarious! You never told me that....I love it....

Anonymous said...

oh, my gosh, i love your family soo much!! haha, seth-he's so funny, i have realized his obsession for "potty words" too! onetime, they were eating dinner and i randomely sang loudly "hit me baby one more time!" and seth rsang back, "hit me baby diaper!" they thought that it was THE funniest thing ever

Unknown said...

Seth sounds very similar to Noah. Maybe it's a second-child thing. Stinkers!

Good for you for doing what works. The pictures turned out super cute!