These two are amazing little guys! I am so impressed with their drive and determination. Running is HARD. I do it, I love it, but that does not change the fact that it is hard and it's probably because I know how hard it is that I am in awe of how well these kids are doing in Running Club this year.Meet #1 was a challenge for Seth, but to be fair, it was his first meet ever and he did not know what to expect. After watching Wade take first place, Seth decided he would try "a lot harder to run fast and hopefully get a ribbon" next meet. There are lots of kids who run in these races and so I told him, "the most important thing is that he tries his best and nothing else really matters after that."
Meet #2 started a lot like #1, the boys were ready to go and anxiously awaited their turn to start to run. I positioned myself on the sidelines so I could see right when they ran into the park and would be able to have plenty of time to make it to the finish line after they passed me.
Wade went flying into the park quickly and was neck and neck with a friend of his. I ran to the finish line and saw them come in...Wade a hair behind his friend. I could see the disappointment in Wade's face, but yelled "Awesome job, bud!" as loud as I could to hopefully brighten his spirits. After about a minute, I headed back over to my first spot near the park entry to wait for Seth.
I waited and waited and waited. I kept thinking, "Man, I thought he was going to try to run fast this time?" Finally, the last of the littlest kids walked/ran past me and I turned around thinking, "could I have missed him?" I looked frantically around and in the distance could see my little, red-faced-coughing Sethie walking with our friend, Nate. I ran over to see him.
I could barely believe I missed him finish, but was thankful he was okay. The poor little kid was hacking his lungs out (we kind of think he has inherited the asthma I had as a kid) and I knew right then he had given it his everything!
Now for award time. We nervously gathered under the pavilion and they started with sixth grade boys. 8 places in each grade takes FOREVER when you are waiting for a second grade and kindergarten announcement! It turned out okay, though, because Matt was able to make it for the awards.
Finally second grade...Wade Roper: SIXTH PLACE! Okay, not as good as first, but we'll definitely take it. Now for Kindergarten....Seth Roper: FOURTH PLACE!!!! What?!?!!! We practically passed out with excitement for Seth! Way to go! So awesome! He was THRILLED as were we! It was so much fun to watch him get his ribbon and stand in front of everyone beaming.
So proud of these kids! Love them both so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment