I listed Cancer first, in the title, because Cancer is the "away" team. The team you rival, can't wait to leave, never want to lose to ESPECIALLY on your home turf. Cancer is losing, big time, to Jen, but not without a fight. This cancer (as most are) is a good team--the one you dream about winning--the Superbowl, World Series, World Cup, Gold Medal, you name your sport. I'm a fighter though, I had an unexpected blow with my diagnosis in August, but that was the first quarter--within the first few seconds of the game. I don't EVER back down EASY...ask anyone who knows me well (especially Matt)...my competitor most likely backs down before the end. I'm hard-wired to win.
Point Number One:
Brain surgery. Usually just speaking those two words and knowing it is going to happen to you would be too much. I'm not saying I wasn't scared out of my mind when it was me, but to win that point was so much sweeter because I was so scared. How do you know good without bad? How do you know sweet without sour?
Brain surgery was the scariest thing I have ever faced. It went SO well, I barely even remember being scared. Blessings, prayers, fasting, love and support made brain surgery, brain surgery seem easy. I continue to struggle a little bit with some side effects of the surgery, but they are minimal to what was at stake and I will take them any day to be alive.
Point Number Two:
Chemo Therapy. Many have asked how I get my chemo, most think it is through an IV. It is not in an IV. A few years ago an ultra genius person came up with "Temodar"--chemo therapy in the form of a pill. An expensive drug (because it hasn't been around long enough to have a generic), nevertheless a PILL. I took it every night of my radiation and tolerated it well.
I was on a low dose since I was taking it along with radiation, but also took a pill called "Zofran" (ring a bell pregnant mommies?) 30 minutes before taking my chemo which helped/took away the nausea. Cancer tried really hard to get a point in this area when I had to go off Chemo for a week due to a low white blood cell count (infection fighting cells.) One week and the count was back up and I was back on.
Point Number Three:
Radiation. 33 sessions, monday through friday for 6 1/2 straight weeks. This was the big point for me. I worked the longest and the hardest for this one. This point was the hardest on me physically and emotionally. I stared cancer straight in the face 5 days a week for over 6 weeks. I had 11 seizures, I lost my hair, I lost my appetite, I lost a few hours of each day traveling back and forth to the hospital, I lost my energy, I almost lost myself.
The past week and half I, really, became a "cancer patient." The person you think of when someone says "cancer." The person you know if you have had anyone close to you go through cancer. I couldn't do very much besides sleep. My dad asked me the other day how you die from a brain tumor, I didn't know so I googled it. Some advice: DO NOT GOOGLE HOW YOU DIE FROM CANCER!! I had ALL of the symptoms. My doctor's told me not to google anything (remember my post that mentioned most of the stuff on the internet is out dated?) I should have listened to my dr.'s. The last thing I needed was to couple my lack of physical strength with lack of emotional strength.
Radiation ended last Thursday and I can't believe how much better I feel since then. I am getting stronger everyday.
I feel like I have missed out on so much, but also feel like it is worth it to be here for many years to come. These past 6 weeks (especially the last 2) will not matter when I'm alive to send my baby on a mission ;).
My next MRI is scheduled for November 29th. At first I was SO nervous for this day. I kept thinking, "what if there are no changes in my tumor and this was all for nothing?" Turns out, there will be NO changes in my tumor (since my post-op scan) and that is the way it is supposed to be. I should start to see the positive effects from the chemo and radiation 4-6 months from now. My focus should be recovering from radiation, taking care of my kids, enjoying the holidays and hopefully exercising again. My radiation oncologist kept telling me there will be a day when I don't think of cancer all day, everyday...we are getting closer to that everyday!
I don't feel like I can end any post without thanking all of you for your love, thoughts, prayers, meals, notes, mail, treats, rides to radiation, rides for my kids, watching my kids and support--without that I know I wouldn't be winning my battle with cancer. A special shout out to my sweet husband. He has taken over all of the household duties and even asked me to teach him how to do Rylee's hair yesterday! Bless his heart--I'm one lucky girl!!
8 comments:
You are one amazing woman! I feel so blessed to be able to call you my friend! You are an inspiration in so many ways! Love you girl!
Everytime I read one of your posts, I come away feeling so inspired by you! You have faced cancer head on and kicked its trash. I have no doubt you will see some major changes thanks to your chemo and radiation!
Constantly amazed at you! You are keeping your eye on the prize. Total inspiration.
Jen, I can't help but get emotional every time I read your words. What an exceptional, brave, strong friend I have. You are just one in a million! Let's keep those points coming! I am so grateful Matt takes such good care of you, tell him I say 'thanks'. You are both the best!
You are such a brave and beautiful woman. Thank you for opening your soul to us. I am learning so much from your strength and your faith. Keep up the fight. The Lord is on your team.
Brave, beautiful, awesome, amazing!!!! Prayers for you everyday!!! You go girl :)
You have already come a long way and now you are on the high road to recovery:-) These holidays will be extra special for you this year! Treasure each moment and continue to allow others to help you heal fully. You inspire so many with your strength and determination:-) xoxo ~ Anna
Jen, I am a friend of Julie's and posted a comment back when you first found out about your brain tumor. My husband had a brain tumor in the same spot as yours 2 years ago and had brain surgery. We just had our MRI last month and still NO tumor or change!! :) I want to tell you a personal story that helped us get through that rough time that's too special to share publicly. If you want to send me your email I will send it to you. Or you can friend me on facebook (Missy Moss Wright) Also, I completely agree with you about science statistics and the Lord's statistics. God is in control of our lives, not numbers. I don't believe in miracles- I KNOW in miracles :) I have seen so many miracles in my life. Just one example is my grandma. 20 years ago she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and given 6-12 months to live. She is still alive today :) thanks to faith, miracles, prayer, and the priesthood.
After my husbands diagnosis, we too have been open to finding ways to heal. 3 months ago, my cousin introduced us to something called Youngevity. It is all the minerals and vitamins our bodies need to heal themselves, since they aren't found in the soil or foods we eat anymore. After researching it, we felt like it was an answer to our prayers and he has been and will take it for the rest of his life. He loves it and says he feel great. It really is amazing and I feel the man who founded it was inspired. Let me know if you are interested or want to learn more.
You truly are an amazing, inspiring person. A couple of weeks ago, I ran the Las Vegas RAGNAR and while we were in Carl's Junior I saw another runner that had a shirt that said "Team Jen" on it. I asked her about it and she said they were running for you. I asked what your last name was and when she said Roper, I said "no way! I have been following her blog!" what a small world! Anyway, sorry this post got so long, hang in there- you will beat it!!
Love and Prayers,
Missy Wright
Post a Comment