Sunday, December 9, 2007

Temple Lights

The Mesa Temple does a beautiful christmas light display each year for Christmas. It is a little taste from home (at the Salt Lake Temple) and I love to go. Last year I went with the Young Women, but this year, we wanted to be sure to take our kids.

As you know, it is a CRAZY time of year and we had to plan for this trip into Mesa. A few weeks ago, Jess and I decided on friday the 7th, not knowing or expecting the weather that would be going on this day--I mean, after all, we live in SUNNY! Arizona where my kids don't even own a heavy winter coat--well, to say in the least, IT WAS RAINING!

Since we had already made the plan to go, we went anyway. The rain actually slowed down as we walked the temple grounds and we were, practically, the only people there! My kids LOVED it! They love Christmas lights and it was a real treat to be surrounded by so many!

We went into the Visitor's Center and saw the annual display of Nativity Scenes from around the world. A missionary, also, talked to us about the "Christus", and Wade actually listened and Seth kept pointing at the statue and screaming, "JESUS!!" It was a great experience.

It was a fun night and I am glad we went depsite the "HEAVY" rainfall.

8 comments:

Amy said...

That is so cool that the temple does that! Too bad for the rain, but good for you for being a trooper.

The Bryner Bunch said...

I am so glad that we went and now it has to be our yearly tradition...ok?!? I think that the rain made the night that much more memorable. We love creating family traditions with you! Love you!

Unknown said...

I love that the temple does all those pretty lights! Our closest temple is in Canada and (since I don't have a passport) we haven't gone out here yet.

This sounds like a special tradition that is sure to invite the spirit of Christmas into your home!

Marie Holmes said...

That is a great experience for your kids! I can't wait to see them (and you guys) next weekend. Thanks for helping me get my blog going. I still need some more help so I'll be calling you later.
Love to all, Mer

Tami and Kaleo said...

Don't you love that would happend when you plan. That is the same with me, it always happens when I want it to be fun. I love the lights. Does Jess live by you? Love Tami

Angie Whitman said...

Oh, that did look fun. I would of been scared away by the rain. I've yet to take my kids this year..its on my list!

Amy Y said...

Well at least maybe it felt a little more like Christmas since it was cooler and maybe the lights reflected on the rain a little like they might on the snow... I love seeing the lights as well and we need to get down there, haven't made the time yet.

I loved reading about your dad too. It was so sweet, what a great man to have done all her has for you. Your kids are lucky to have such a great ampa.

Kate Rosenvall said...

Isn't that how it always goes...the weather is so unpredictable. That's great that you guys still ended up going. What cute pictures. There's something about being on the Temple grounds during Christmastime.

I'm sad because I don't think we are going to make it to the Roper Family Christmas party this year:( But shake a leg for us...I hear there is going to be a great band playing. Merry Christmas to you guys!
Love,
Marcae