Saturday, December 1, 2007

My Dad

Today, is my dad's birthday. I asked him what he wanted and, as usual, he said he wanted
"nothing,
but a nice letter telling me you love me." He says this every year. I know he doesn't want me to spend any money on him and, now as a mother, I know how much it means to hear your children tell you how much they love and appreciate you. This year, my dad will get "his letter" on my blog!

Since day one I have been a "daddy's girl." We have family videos where I am following my dad around "helping" him fix things, watching the Jazz play basketball and talking with him. I have always enjoyed spending time with my dad. He captured my heart at a very early age and that love keeps growing and maturing as both of our lives change with time.

My dad has always been special to me, but he has gone far and beyond showing his love for me in my life. My mom suddenly passed away when I was 16 years old, leaving behind my dad to raise three little girls. It was, and still is, the single most life-altering experience of my life. My dad was so incredible through it all.

He had big shoes to fill--my mom was our best friend, our nurturer and the one who took care of each of us like no one else could. My dad knew he could never replace our mom, but he put himself second to his kids for the next several years of his life to ensure we continued on feeling normal, secure and happy. I love my dad so much for this. I wouldn't have the life I do now without the things he did for me.

My family is eternal and I know I will see my mom again. My dad made this possible for me. He helped me gain a true and real testimony of the gospel and has influenced my life for the better.

Today, our relationship is stronger than ever. I have been able to enjoy my dad's support and advice through the remainder of high school, college, marriage and the birth of my babies. Through it all he remains a constant rock--someone I know I can count on for ANYTHING at ANYTIME. He has been my biggest fan through the most important events and experiences in my life.

I am so thankful that I can share my husband and kids with my dad. He loves Matt so much and he LOVES my boys more than anything else in this world. It is so much fun to watch my dad as a grandpa. They call him "Ampa" and they love him just about as much as he loves them.

I have mentioned before how much my kid's love to have "Ampa" come to visit--they talk about him all the time. They share such a special bond and I am thankful I have been able to help in giving my dad some grandchildren because I have never seen him happier then he is when he is playing with those kids.

I love you, dad! Happy birthday! Thank you for blessing my life with your love, I hope I was able to put some of my feelings into words so you know how much you mean to me on this day and always.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet and touching tribute to your dad! He is such a great guy and you and your sisters are so lucky to have a dad like him! Happy Birthday to your dad!

I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 80's family picture! Classic!

The Bryner Bunch said...

I love dad too! You said everything that I was going to say! Oh well, I am sure he won't mind hearing it twice! Nice post.
Love you.

Lynnette said...

Oh boy...now you've got my crying too. I tell you, I can't read these blogs anymore because I get too choked up by all the sweet stories. We have the most generous, spiritual, kind people living around us here and I just feel lucky to know all of you. I love the pic from your wedding. Thanks for this touching post.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Amanda said...

Your dad is such a good guy. I don't think I've ever heard anything but greatness from you about him. You're lucky to have someone so great that has taught you so much! I'm with Lynnette...I thought maybe it was me just being pregnant...but you get me tearing up ALL the time!!!

Evelyn said...

So sweet Jen! I love hearing about your family. Your parents raised an amazing girl.... and I can't imagine your dad stepping up as he did- he must be an incredible person. THanks for writing such a touching tribute.

The Wright's said...

Good job Jen! Yours and Jess's blogs to Dad are awesome! I'm so glad we have the best Dad and that you and Jess gave him this thoughtful present, and were able to share it with so many people we all care about. He really is amazing and I am so proud to say that John Rasmussen is my Dad :)
PS You said everything perfectly, I'm all teared up!
Thanks,
Love you,
JU

Tami and Kaleo said...

I know you always loved your dad. I thought he was cute, I just always remeber hearing you on the phone in your room saying, "Thank You Daddy." haha I think that is a great idea to do a tribute to people you love on teh web. Love Tami

Kate Rosenvall said...

Wow! I had to dry my eyes before typing because I couldn't see anything. What an amazing tribute to your dad. He is truly lucky to have you as his daughter. That was so sweet!

Angie Whitman said...

that crescenet guy is saying that he thinks your really hot and if you'll move to France? No, I'm kidding. Way to go and ruin it for everyone Crescenet and make Jen go private!:)

On a more serious note, that was a beautiful post and I am amazed by all that you, your dad, and your sisters have been through. I can't even begin to imagine how blessed you must feel to have such a wonderful, amazing dad who was there for you through all of it. I am sure this will be his best gift and one he will always treasure.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Brody Purser said...

What a great tribute to your dad. I haven't ever met him, but I know he must be incredible to do what he did for you and your sisters. I can't imagine going through that Jen. You are so amazing! Thanks for sharing a piece of your dad with us.