I knew this post was coming--especially after the Christmas we had in Utah. Let me preface everything I am about to type by saying that I love my, little Seth so much. He is a wonderful son and is so important to our family. When he is sweet he is like sugar, but when he isn't (which is most of the time these days), he is a handful.I keep trying to remember when the "terrible two's" started for Seth. Matt and I have decided it was back in August, about two months before his second birthday. I think the reason Seth's "terrible two" phase seems rougher then Wade's is because Seth was SO SWEET for so long. I never thought he would be mischievous, sassy, throw tantrums, hit and pinch or scream, which are the characteristics that describe most of his days right now.
I could probably list 20 different stories that would define what I am talking about, that have all taken place the past few months, but I will stick to just a few.One of the worst moments for me, as a parent, is when my child learns to climb out of the crib. Seth learned this while we were in Utah. He didn't want to go to bed and I can't blame him. He enjoys spending time chasing the kitty and playing with Ampa, but it was 9pm and if any of you know me well enough, you know that is WAY past my kids' usual bedtime of 7pm sharp.
I put him in his pack and play and he was screaming at the top of his lungs to get out. I left him and walked out of the room. While standing in the living room and talking with my family, I continued to hear Seth scream, when all of the sudden the screams started getting closer and closer followed by, a beaming, Seth opening the bedroom door.
It was one of those moments when you want to be serious and scold your child, but it is TOO FUNNY! He caught me off guard and it was REALLY hard not to laugh. Trying my best not to smile, I picked him up, carried him in the room and he went back in the play pen. To make a long story short, it took me sitting in the room for over an hour until he finally fell asleep. If you think Seth is hard normally try him on less sleep--not a fun time!

I thought once we got back home and to our routine, things would get back to normal, but that isn't the case. He was able to climb out of his crib as easy as the pack and play so we have had to take the front of the crib off and turned it into a toddler bed.
He, actually, does pretty well. He will open his door and peek his head out, sometimes run into my room and try to climb on the counter and often spends most of his sleeping time on the floor by his door, but he will stay in his room if we tell him too. I guess it isn't all bad!
Some of the other things Seth spends his time doing are: getting knives out of the drawers and the dishwasher and running around with them. I have had to resort to keeping all my knives in the upper cabinets and leaving them in the sink until I start the dishwasher where I immediately put them away when the wash is done.
He also scooped 80% of Matt's hair wax into his hair and it took about 20 washes, a special shampoo and a week's time until it was gone! He moved a chair to the counter and got a packet of "Carnation Instant Breakfast", took it into the living room, dumped it on the chair and was licking his finger and dipping it into the pile of chocolate powder (thank goodness for scotch guard--it all came out!)
Each day he tries a new trick and I try to stay ahead of him (or, at least, keep up) to prevent him from hurting himself or others. The best thing about all of this is that I know it will pass. Wade was just as "terrible" and he has grown out of it, so there is hope!
Although, he is a handful, I wouldn't trade it for anything. No one can hug and love me like Seth. It melts my heart when he talks to me with his little voice and says "I love you, mom", or when he folds his arms for a prayer and blesses Jack Sparrow (his FAVORITE pirate!), or when he reaches up and says "Hold ya me" and just wants to be held. All the "terrible two" behavior is worth it when we have those precious moments (no matter how far and few they may seem, right now :)!)
19 comments:
Oh how I wish we could be together for the terrible two's of our second children. Chase never really had the terrible two's, but he has joined Nolan in full force so I officially have the terrible two's, meaning both children acting crazy together!
It does make me sad that Nolan and Seth do not know each other like Chase and Wade!
Miss you!
Too funny! I love that we're in the same boat!! I typed up a similar post this moring but was too lazy to get the pictures uploaded so I'm going to get on it tomorrow! Fun times....now if only we could skip potty training....
We love little Sethy just the way he is...naughty or nice! He will grow out of it soon and Logan will be his replacement and terrorize baby Trenton! It will be a vicious cycle for many years to come! Hopefully, we will grow numb to it.
Oh the terrible two's! Your post makes me nervous for my sweet Noah! He is rapidly approaching that stage and because he is so sneaky, I am really afraid of what kind of 2-year-old he will be!
The hair gel made me laugh! I can just see this little guy with a hair full of gel! I guess stuff like that is just hilarious unless it is your child. Seth sounds like such a funny kid!
Oh the terrible twos...and threes. You sound like you are handling it like a pro though and someday it will be great to look back and laugh at the craziness! Also your Christmas sounded like so much fun!!
It makes me happy to feel like other people are in the same boat. Addison is also going through the terrible two's. It has been a hundred times worse last week because we are potty training. Happy to say this week is starting better!
I'm so glad that someone else is experiencing the terrible two's! How can you get mad at him...he is so cute! Makaila can't even compare to Lauren so I can't complain too much!
I loved chatting with you yesterday. I really miss seeing you. Hopefully we can get to the park and let our kids play! :)
JEN RASS! How the heck are ya? Your blog is so cute and I loved the stories you wrote about Seth. I can completely relate! I hope all is well with you. I have to admit, every single time I go to Wingers, I think about you. You should check us out at danulrichfamily.blogspot.com.
Yesterday I was just trying to find time to type up a post on Ashlyn's tantrums lately. I wish I could say it was just you :)
Are you serious? I can't believe he got out of his normal crib. Im hoping that Savy will never get out. Cute pictures of Seth though.
Call me about VEGAS baby!
Love Linsey
Crackin' me up! I love the pic of Seth crashed out on the floor of his room. SO FUNNY!
Thanks for your LASIK info! See you at the gym...and Target agian maybe, since I'm always there.
-Jennie N.
The hair wax story is by far my favorite! That made me laugh. It reminded me of the time Maddie covered her self in baby lotion. It was in her hair and even on the tips of her eyelashes. At first, I was like, "why do you look so shiny?" That is such a fun, but can be trying stage! I don't want Jax to move...any time soon!:)
sooo funny! reminds me of matthew at that age! they are just so curious! it's a good thing he is so cute because you can't stay mad at him for long!! he is just too adorable and lovable!!
It's hard to believe that cute face can get into so much trouble! I feel for you. I'm bracing myself for Jace's terrible twos. He's already got a good start. Hang in there, you're doing a great job with those boys!
Love, Mer
Oh- I just can't imagine that coming from sweet little Seth. You are so right that he has just always been such a sweetheart- that's probably why this is so different coming from him. Dane is so sweet right now and this story has me dreading a year from now! I know they all go through it and it's hard... but you have such a beautiful perspective on this- just as you always do! Miss you. Oh- by the way, I LOVE Seth's hair. It is too cute!
Sweet little Seth. Boys just wouldn't be boys without some naughty behavior. I'm sure that it keeps you laughing. I had fun reading about all of his latest antics.
It sounds like you guys had a great new year. I'm sad I wasn't able to see you over Christmas.
Have a Happy New Year!
What a cutie! If anyone can handle it- it's you Jen. Tanner is 21 months and I'm doing everything I can to keep him from turning two :).
Oh Jen, I am feeling the "terrible two's" right now too. The pic of Seth asleep on the floor made me laugh so hard. You are such a good Mom!
Post a Comment