Sunday, January 6, 2008
Christmas
I kept thinking that once January came, my life would suddenly be calm and back to normal, well we are a week into January and I have yet to feel any of those feelings. Hence, my Christmas post a mere two weeks late. I am sorry, to be posting about Christmas, but I can't let our trip to Utah go undocumented. So for those of you who have put away your tree's, recorded your memories and left all thoughts of Christmas for another year--here is one last blog post to keep the Christmas spirit going for a little longer :)!
We were able to spend Christmas in Utah this year. I completed all of my pre-Christmas duties (mailed Christmas cards, handed out neighbor treats, Christmas shopping and preparing my house, calling and kids for a two week vacation) by December 14th. It was a challenge, but I managed to do so without too many problems!
We packed up and headed for Southern Utah. After spending the night in Cedar, getting my hair colored (finally!) and eating at the BELOVED "Pizza Factory," we drove to Delta, UT and met Matt's family at his sister, Elaine's, home. After a day of catching up, a cousin gift exchange and chocolate-making extravaganza (these are my sister-in-laws who are caramel/chocolate pretzel connoisseurs) we made our way over to the annual "Roper Family Christmas Party" at the Oak City Town Hall.
As always, it was so much fun to visit and catch up with Matt's extended family. They had a band this year so the kids enjoyed dancing around and learning some moves from Granny Roper! This day was, also, significant because it was Seth's first time seeing and touching snow in real-life. It was no surprise, that he LOVED it and had no problem with the cold. To him, snow is an added accessory to his world of fun outside!
Following the party, we made our way to, good ole', Sandy, UT. Matt flew home to work and I stayed behind with the boys at my dad's house. The boys spent the week chasing Ampa's kitty, playing in the snow, pulling down and terrorizing all of Paula's Christmas decorations, getting babysat by Ampa and Paula almost each night (thanks you guys!) and playing with our family and friends in town.
It was a challenge to be on my own because Seth is EXTREMELY busy and kept me running! Some of the greatest moments in Salt Lake were: going to dinner with Okubo and Cone--my best friends from high school, going to dinner with some of my other close high school friends and their wives, visiting the Salt lake Temple grounds with my kids, Jess, Ben and Logan to see the lights, doing a temple session with my dad and Jess and, the best part was, when Matt flew back on Friday (the 21st) and we went to the Rasmussen family Christmas party at my grandma's house!
Just about every Christmas I have ever had has been at my Grandma and Grandpa Rasmussen's house, so it was a real treat to be with my dad's family and celebrate our tradition! The food and company could not be beat!
The next day, we packed up again and headed back to Cedar. That night, we had a reunion party with all of our old college friends (Matt's friends he grew up with!) This was SOOOOO much fun! Matt and I are proud alumni of SUU and a lot of our amazing college experience is due to our wonderful friends we were able to attend school with. There is not another group of people (aside from my family) where I feel so comfortable, loved and can laugh with like these friends. It was so wonderful to see everyone and to know they are all doing so well!
Christmas Eve was busy and fun! The kids decorated cookies for Santa, played "Christmas Bingo" (thanks Mer!) and had a wonderful time running around with their cousins! Gary and Shirley prepared a delicious meal and served quite a crowd. Following dinner we had the annual "Roper program" where the grandchildren (and adults) can showcase their talents for the family. Wade and Seth sang "Jingle Bells", the other kids played the piano and also sang.
The spirit was so strong and I felt so blessed to be there with my family and share the true meaning of Christmas with my children. It was incredible to sing Christmas hymns with Matt's family (his Mom taught choir and his family is all musically blessed so everything sounded so beautiful!)
Christmas morning was a lot of fun! The kids were so excited with each present they opened. They gleefully screamed and thanked whomever the gift was from. Wade was, especially, excited that Santa ate the cookies he had decorated for him! The rest of the day was spent relaxing and playing Matt's Christmas present: "GUITAR HERO!" (Thanks Ju and John!) He was thrilled to get it and it kept all of us busy and entertained!
If any of you are still reading this LONG post, I am sorry, we were gone a long time! The day after Christmas we made the drive home. Although it was a wonderful Christmas, there is no place like home! We were so happy to be back and get back to our routine! So, belated Merry Christmas, hope it was as great for you as it was for us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
That was a long trip and a long post, but it was fun to think about Christmas one more time before we put it away until next year! It was a lot of fun, but I know you were happy to get back home! I love all of the pictures. Love you.
It sounds like a great trip. What a blessing to be able to spend so much time with family!
This was one of the best Christmas times we have had! Thanks for sharing it with us. Sure love the photos. Can't wait till we get together again.
It does sound like you guys had too much fun and got a LOT done in 2 weeks! I too have yet to post Christmas, but I will soon!! Tanner starts school tomorrow, and then I'm HOPING I can get back on track....things have been crazy, and to prove it, poor Payton fell asleep on the kitchen floor for a nap at about 5 pm tonight.....
What a fun trip, Jen! So happy that you guys enjoyed your Christmas holidays... and I don't fault you in the least for taking some time to blog about it all. Heck, I haven't posted for a month! CONGRATULATIONS on your ultrasound. So happy that HE is healthy and developing well. You are such a wonderful mother- this little boy is going to be very lucky. Love the name Trent- perfect fit in your family. I saw Brooke over the holidays and we talked about you- it made me miss you!!
I loved reading about your Christmas. And isn't it so great to have these little kids to bring back the magic of Christmas! Congrats on having another little boy! I love little boys so much- I think it is fabulous news!
It was really good to see you guys over Christmas, and to stay in touch better through the ol' blog.
Post a Comment