Sunday, February 3, 2008

12 Years

During this past week, after the passing of our beloved, Prophet, I have taken the opportunity to reflect on the gospel and eternal families. It is a little ironic because today marks the 12th anniversary of the passing of my,own, mom. It is also a little ironic that President Hinckley was sustained as our Prophet less then a year before my mom passed away. When I look back over the past 12 years and all that has happened and changed in my life and what an influence both my mom and President Hinckley made on those 12 years can hardly be described, by me, in words, but I want to try so that I have this day recorded and I can remember how I felt this past week.

I was 16 years old and in my Junior year of high school. I am sure you can remember life in high school--carefree and exciting! The most important thing was your friends and what was going on that weekend. I was no exception and life was going pretty good. I had a wonderful and caring mom whom was my best friend and I talked to about everything. I also had a wonderful dad who worked hard for our family and made sure we were always taken care of. And, I also, had my two little sisters whom I loved very much.

Although, my dad was not active in the church, my mom took us each week. Both she and my dad thought it was important that we were raised in the Gospel despite my dad's lack of interest.

I spent most Sunday's at church, although my family lacked the priesthood in our home so I was never able to experience Family Home Evening, family scripture study, or the feeling of my parents attending the temple. I don't want to sound like I was deprived, because I knew then and I know now that my parents loved me with every ounce of their hearts and would do anything for me. I just didn't experience the Gospel the way a lot of my friends did growing up.

One Saturday morning--12 years ago, my entire life changed, as strange as it might sound, for the better. My mom had a heart attack and passed away immediately without any warning. The reason I say my life changed for the better because I was converted to the church through this experience, but more importantly my dad was converted to the church.

Suddenly, the most important thing in my 16 year old life was my family and being with them forever. I cannot express the love and admiration I have for my dad and the way he handled this tragic experience. Because of the choices my dad made, he and my mom were able to be sealed in the Logan Temple and our family was, also, sealed for all time and eternity a year later.

When my mom died, I felt like my life had started over. Everything was different. We worked as a family to pick up the pieces and move on the best we could. This is where President Hinckley was such an amazing influence on me.



Since I was only 16 and since the church wasn't too important in my home until my mom died, he was the first Prophet I really knew. I feel so blessed to have listened to this man during the hardest time in my life. Oh, how I love President Hinckley. He was such a incredible man and when he spoke I couldn't help but listen and soak up each word while the spirit burned within me the entire time.

Most of all, I am thankful for the Gospel. I am SO thankful I am sealed to my mom. I would rather have her with me forever than during this life and I feel like this is the path my family had to take to be together again.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if my mom hadn't passed away. I get a lot of comments from people like, "I can't believe you can do it without you mom," but what they don't understand is this is the way it needed to be for my family to be forever which is so much more important to me then having my mom here at my wedding or the birth's of my children.

The Gospel makes this all possible for me. I am so thankful to be married in the temple and to be sealed to my husband and children. It means more to me than my husband and kids will ever know because I know what it feels like not to be sealed to your family. That feeling is worse than any other.

When I heard about President Hinckley's death, I only felt a flicker of sadness and it was mostly for myself because I felt bad that I would no longer be able to listen to him speak anymore. More than anything, I felt happy that he is with his wife again--for I know with all my heart, that is where he would rather be then anywhere else. What an incredible reunion that must have been. It brings tears to my eyes to imagine what that would be like. It also excites me because I, too, will get my reunion, someday, and that is better than anything else I could ever imagine.

23 comments:

The Bryner Bunch said...

That was an incredible and heartfelt tribute to our mom and Prophet. Thank you for sharing your testimony and I agree, that this was the way it was supposed to be for our family. I can't believe it has been 12 years and I didn't realize that President Hinckley has been serving that whole time! No wonder I love him so much...he was there for us in our time of need. I can't wait to be reunited with our mom again, but until then we'll continue being strong and doing the best that we can. Thanks for your touching post. Love you.

Armstrongs said...

What a beautiful testimony. Thank you for sharing your love for the gospel, family and our prophet.

MIss you!

Julie said...

Jen...I loved reading this post. I remember so well when your cute mom passed away, I can't believe it's been 12 years. It really is amazing how things worked out for your family. What a blessing in disguise. Thanks for sharing your sweet testimony. You'll be so glad you wrote down your feelings about this day.

Kristy Martin said...

Jen I don't know how you made it through that post let alone such a hard time! You are so strong and I loved reading that.

Sue said...

What a wonderful tribute! I'm crying right now for you, and me and all those who have lost a parent. I too am so grateful that families can be together and can't wait for the day when I will be reunited with my mom again. Thank you for such a beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen... You have an amazing way of expressing all of your feelings in such wonderful words. I feel the same way... With the Prophets passing its just another reminder of how precious life is, but also a testimony builder. I am so grateful to be apart of our family here and beyond the veil. I am truly blessed.
Thanks, Love You!
Ju

Anonymous said...

That was so beautifully stated. I am amazed at the insight you have gained through such a hard experience. That is exactly how we should all deal with our trials. I love your positive outlook.
I have the same feelings about President Hinckley. I am excited for him to be with his sweetheart again!

Kate Rosenvall said...

Your posts are always so thoughtful and inspiring to me (not to mention, they tend to bring me to tears). What a un-selfish view you have about this life and what it is all about. We truly have an amazing gift of the Gospel and Eternal Life. I always have to put that into perspective that this life is so short compared to the Eternities and what happens in this life (whether it's happiness or sadness) will be worth it. Thank you for your testimony, for it helps strengthen mine.

Hope you have a fabulous day!!

Brody Purser said...

Jen, what an incredible tribute to your mother and President HInckly. I can't begin to imagine what your family went through, but what a great way you look at it. You have such a strong testimony of the gospel and are such a great example to me.

Your dad is so amazing for what he did and I'm so glad that you can be together with them forever. Your post really touched my heart, thanks for sharing it.

Brody Purser said...

p.s. Your mom is so beautiful! What a great picture of your parents.

Angie Whitman said...

Jen~ thank you for sharing something so personal and meaningful. I have to say that I didn't get through it without crying. Your mom is so beautiful. What strength and character you and your whole family has shown through perserverance that most of us could never comprehend. President Hinckley was definately an instrument of God's hands for your family. Thank you for sharing and making me take the time to reflect.

Unknown said...

What a touching tribute to your mom and President Hinkley. You are such an amazing person! I love reading your blog, it is always so inspirational!

Dana Marchant said...

Jen -- You have an amazing way of putting your feeling down on paper [or blog...]. That is so touching. Isn't it fascinating to look back now and the worst experiences of our lives can bring the greatest changes for good and lead us places we couldn't have imagined? You are inspiring!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Jen, I've been putting off commenting on this entry because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to say in the right words ... because I remember your mom being my 2nd mom there for awhile ... and I remember the day she passed away so clearly, too. But most I remember how strong you always were through it all (even going to the stomp! :) ) I've always admired you for that. And after reading this wonderful post, I still do, even more so!

Heidi Berry said...

Jen-
Thanks for reminding us all, and reminding me what is most important in life. I have been having a bummer week for some reason (maybe it is all the snow- you don't have that problem :)- and it was great to read your post and realize what really matters. I also always admired your strength through such a tough time. We are so blessed to have the knowledge of the gospel, and what a blessing to know families are forever.

The Hunt's said...

It is too easy to get caught up in the day to day things of life that are unimportant and unsignificant in the real scheme of things. Thank you for putting things back into perspective. I loved learning this part of you.

Evelyn said...

Jen- you are such an amazing person. Your attitude has always been so impressive to me. And I just loved to read your testimony. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend- your life and all that you are is an incredible example to me. Thanks for sharing Jen!

Chase and Teresa said...

I got totally choked up when I read your sweet tribute. It is so interesting how blessings are sometimes disguised.

I never knew about your childhood, and always saw what a strength you are to others. I still remember you mentioning reading the scriptures when taking Trax every day. For some reason that passing comment has stuck with me.

The Swindlehurst's said...

JEN! Finally I get 2 seconds to get on the computer and I was so happy to see your comment, my emotions are all over the place right now so Im sitting here bawling reading your post, I know we have talked alot about all of that and I feel the same way about seeing Cody again! Im so sad that i missed you last time, I love our talks! Thank you so much for that adorable blanket, its so cute I use it all the time! I dont even think I knew that you are prego! Congrats! I hope you can come up before that baby comes, Let me know. take care and keep me posted.
love ya- Kristie

Eardley Fam said...

Jen-
Thank you for sharing such personal feelings -you have a great way with words and I was so touched by your post and sweet testimony. Your strength is inspiring.

JOE BURNS said...

Hey Jen great post about your mom. I never knew her but the way you girls have talked about her over the years I feel like i did. She's certainly proud of all three of you.

Melissa Stadler said...

Oh Jen...you made me bawl like a baby. What a wonderful example you are on turning something tragic into something that has benefited you and your family for ETERNITY. Your Mom sounds like she was so special to you and I am sure that you miss her. It is so wonderful that your Dad was able to find the Gospel and be sealed as a family. That is such a blessing.
You are such a strong woman Jen. I appreciate so much your testimony and example of strength admist trials. You are wonderful!

maggie holmes said...

Jen, I am crying too! that was so beautiful!
what an amazing perspective you have on things! you are such a strong and amazing person and i really admire you jen! thanks for being such a great example!