Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Southern Utah Adventures

We had a wonderful past weekend all around. I made plans with three of my best friends since high school for a "girl's weekend" in St. George while Matt and the boys spent the weekend with his family in Cedar (except for the quick trip Matt made to Vegas for an invisalign course.)
The drive up to Utah started pretty adventurous. Seth has only puked three times in his life and all three times have been while we are driving in the late afternoon, on a Phoenix freeway in traffic. One of the three happened this weekend. I kinda knew it was coming because he kept saying he was sick and covering his mouth with his little hands. Every time he coughed I would put a plastic bag up so he could puke in it and I was successful! (You know you are a mom when you are excited to catch your child's puke in a bag!!)

After that, everything went pretty smooth until we were about 50 miles outside of Flagstaff. I was looking in the compartments of our rental car (we decided to rent since Matt was doing business on the trip and we wanted to maximize our gas mileage.) I opened a compartment in the dashboard and came across two tightly rolled items used for smoking. Matt swears they were cigarettes, but I will let your imagination decide what I thought they were. To say in the least, we threw them out the window (can you imagine what would have happened if we were pulled over and a cop searched the car?--yikes!)

You would think that would be all, but our sweet Wade still has a hard time making it through the night "accident free" and had a #2 accident somewhere in between Page and Kanab. We left his "soiled" underwear on the side of the road and the poor guy had to wear a diaper until we got to Cedar.

We arrived to Cedar a little after midnight which, actually, was good time considering how many times we had to stop! Matt left early Friday for his conference while the kids played with Grandpa and Granny Roper and my friends picked me up.

My weekend was filled with shopping, a quick visit from Ju, eating yummy food and TALKING. We never ran out of things to say even though we stayed up until 4am. I feel so blessed to have such great friends that I have been through so much with! It was a wonderful weekend that I will never forget!


While I was living the "single" lifestyle, Matt and the boys had a blast in Cedar. They, too, got to eat yummy food at our favorite spots in Cedar: "Pizza Factory" and "Brad's", had an Easter egg hunt organized by Aunt Mer, played with the Holmes' new baby chicks and enjoyed the company of their cousins. Wade didn't want to leave--he begged us to stay. It was a quick trip up and back, but so much fun and just what we needed!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun trip (all except for that first car ride)!

Your friends from high school sound really fun, I'm glad you got to spend some time enjoying the "single" life!

And you look so cute pregnant!

Sorensen Family said...

You are an amazing friend! I loved that we never ran out of things to say, I'm sure we could have kept going if we had more time. I can't wait for next year!

Love ya,
Linsey

Heidi Berry said...

How fun! A girl's weekend sounds fantastic! You look so cute pregnant!

jenichild said...

What a great weekend! I need to get quicker at blogging. I just posted some pics from a month ago and still have to catch up to our trip. I wish we had taken more pics. I only have the same one that you took. It did turn out really cute though. You do look darling and skinny and will be wearing your new jeans in no time!

The Hunt's said...

Is there anything better than a weekend with the girls? You must feel so refreshed! You're looking fantastic!

JOE BURNS said...

Rented a car huh... Obviously to throw the cops off the trail of your pot smuggling ring. I like the angle of the quiet innocent mormon family, good front :) So what else did you throw out the window? Lets review shall we. Weed illegal substance, Wade's "bio-hazard" soiled shorts. Sure have come along way haven't we.. haha To bad those don't waste Utah ads didn't stick. It was great to see Matt in Cedar glad we were able to get together. Too bad we missed you and the boys. Maybe next time!

Julie said...

I love girl's trips. They are so much fun. You girls all look so great!

Kate Rosenvall said...

What a fun weekend. I think that "girl's weekends" are the BEST. I always feel so refreshed and rejuvinated after getting together with my girlfriends, not to mention...my stomach always hurts from laughing so hard. I'm glad you had a fun little getaway.

P.S. You are almost there. Are you ready to have this baby? Good luck these next few weeks!

Marcae

Marie Holmes said...

I loved the weekend and I'm glad you got to have a weekend with friends. It's nice that we can see you guys a little more now that Matt is done with school.

P.S. Sorry about Wade getting so sick. We had the same episode play out here. Glad to hear he's feeling better!

Amanda said...

How fun! You are way too cute being pregnant! I love having girls' night out...a weekend would be a blast!!!

Amy said...

What a fun weekend! Poor little Seth! You're such a good Mom. Glad you had fun, and your little belly is so cute!

Jamie Christensen said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Your boys are so cute.

Kristy Martin said...

31 weeks!!! You better get movin! hah, My motivation hasn;t fit full force yet....maybe after spring break!

Lindsay Barnes said...

Hi Jen!
I dediced although I am not a blogger I should at least comment on my friends cute blogs. You actually make me want to join the blogging world someday! Anyhow, I had so much fun on or girls trip. It is always so much fun to be with you! Thanks for being such a great friend. Love ya,
Lindsay
p.s. Hawaii next year?

Chase and Teresa said...

That is so nice you got a little break before baby #3 makes his appearance.

I am impressed with your catching the puke in the bag talent.

The Bryner Bunch said...

Good job with the puke catching! I hope to master that skill someday:) It is so sad when your little guys are sick...I'm glad they are both feeling better.

Sounds like a fun trip with girls! Love you.

Brody Purser said...

What a fun weekend!! There's nothing better than old friends that know everything about you. Lauren was puking on our way to Utah too. The joys of parenthood, right?! I always just think..I will laugh at this soon.

I can't believe you are on the countdown with this baby. You look beautiful. Hope your having a great spring break!

Sue said...

I love girls trips. They are soo much fun! I'm glad you all had a great time together.