Thursday, May 8, 2008

Anniversary

Post Disclaimer: This post is longer and cheesier than my usual posts, so it won't hurt my feelings if you skip reading it :)!

Today marks 7 years since Matt and I were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. When I think of 7 years, I think it seems like we have been married so much longer, but I also think that time has flown by so fast, especially since I can remember our wedding day like it was yesterday.

Matt and I met at SUU and were friends for a couple of years before we, officially, started dating. Ariane and Mandi (followed by Jess, later on) can attest to some crazy stories that finally led us down the dating path. To keep it simple, I (yes I) told Matt that I thought we should be "more than friends" TWICE (yes TWICE) before he agreed.
( first picture taken together: October 1999)

I have to say he was worth the wait and I am so glad I was courageous enough to pursue him! In the end, though, it was Matt who had to do the asking and earning of my love :). Our friendship was wonderful and created a perfect foundation for our marriage and eternity and I feel so blessed to be married to such a wonderful man.
(Engagement pic)

Since it has been 7 years, I thought I would list 7 silly (not so serious) things I love about Matt and 7 more serious things I love about him too.

Silly (not so serious) things:

1. I how much he loves the Phoenix Suns. Basketball has always been my favorite professional sport to follow and Matt loves it more then I do. It is fun to cheer on a team with as much excitement and passion as I did when I was growing up!

2. I love that he loves "The Pizza Factory" in Cedar and "Training Table" as much as I do. Going out to eat is one of my most favorite things to do and Matt and I take going to these restaurants, while visiting Utah, very seriously.

3. I love that he thinks I am the best cook/ baker ever. In the end it only matters what my family thinks of my cooking so I am so glad they approve.

4. I love our college memories and friends. There is nothing like being around our SUU friends, I love that I share this with him.

5. I love his singing voice. He was in "Madrigals" in high school and his entire family is very musically talented. I wish he did more with his talent, but do enjoy hearing him sing the hymns in sacrament meeting and LOVE to hear him sing with our boys as he puts them to bed.

6. I love that he takes Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas so seriously. He has dreams of decorating our house "Griswald style" at Christmas time and loves to start and carry out traditions and make these holidays so much fun for our family.

7. I love that he tries to be organized. Since the day we have been married, I have been working on Matt's organization. He has come a long way. He used to leave his wet towels on the bed, lose his keys/ wallet everyday, etc. He NEVER puts a towel anywhere but the towel rack and has improved in so many areas. The best is when he organizes something and can't wait to tell me about it! I am so thankful he knows and accepts how OCD I am about most things and has worked so hard to change his ways.


Serious things:

1. I love how he loves me and our family. I know that his first priority is ALWAYS me and the boys. I know he thinks about us, worries about us and works so hard each day for us. He has spent our entire marriage showing this to me--never changing or coming up short. We are so proud of all his accomplishments.

2. I love how he loves our extended family. My dad, sisters, grandparents, etc all love Matt with all their hearts! I can rarely have a conversation with any of them without them saying so. I also love how he loves his family. His nephews and nieces adore him as do his sisters and parents. Family is everything to both Matt and I. He was raised by some incredible parents who value family immensely so I am thankful he has carried this on.

3. I love how he plays with our boys. They adore him and, seriously, count down the minutes until he gets home. They wrestle, run around and do what boys do best!

4. I love how he loves the gospel. I love that we were married in temple. I love that he served a mission. I love how he knows the stories of the scriptures by glancing at a lesson title. I love how he teaches the gospel to our children and to the children in our ward. I love how he supports me in my callings and allows me to be as involved with them as I want to be without any question. I love how we have family prayer, family home evening and scripture study.

5. I love how he wants to succeed and continues to have ambitions and dreams. He has worked so hard for his success and continues to work hard--never taking anything for granted. He is always looking for another challenge or another way to better our future.

6. I love that he appreciates me. He is so good about telling me thank you for the things I do. He always thanks me for making dinner and prompts our boys to do the same. He will thank me for doing the laundry, doing the dishes or any other simple task that is easily taken for granted. He respects me and is teaching our boys the way they need to treat their future wives.

7. I love how he loves me. He knows me better than anyone and accepts me with all my flaws and loves me unconditionally. He knows when I am having a bad day and need a break, he can read me like a book--knowing what my certain facial expressions really mean, etc. He wants me to be happy and will do anything in his power to make that happen. He is nurturing and loving in just the way I need.

I am so blessed to be married to my best friend and share this life and eternity together. He is not perfect, I am not either, but together we do okay and I am thankful I have him. Happy Anniversary Matt, I love you!

15 comments:

Kristy Martin said...

You engagement pic looks like it could have been taken last week! SO cute. I was just looking at our engagment pic the other day and can't beleive how long ago it feels!

Heidi Berry said...

Happy Anniversary you two! There is nothing like being married to your best friend!

Tami and Kaleo said...

Jen I feel like I am in love with Matt now. ahaha. That was beautiful. Happy Anniversary Love tami

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember when you dated and got engaged. It is so weird that it was seven years ago!!

What a sweet tribute to Matt and your relationship! The pictures are so much fun to see!

Brody Purser said...

vWhat a cute post!! Happy Anniversary! I loved reading all of the things that you like about Matt...very sweet. You have not changed at all!

Okay...so I am the biggest loser ever and missed your shower! For some reason I was thinking it was Thursday night, and then found out it was actually Wednesday. So sorry I missed it. Looks like it turned out great! I LOVE the cake, so cute! I can't wait to meet this cute little boy. And I love the bedding from Target, very cute.

Armstrongs said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved reading your post, it reminds us of how lucky we are to have such wonderful spouses! Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

What a nice anniversary tribute! You two are a great couple and Matt is equally as lucky to have you too! I love all of your pics, but my favorite was the first photo in 99'. You two have grown up so much since then. That was fun to see!
I haven't heard any news yet from your doc's appointment. I suppose in this case that no news is bad news. Can't wait, hope it's soon!
Love, Mer

Marie Holmes said...

Hi aunt Jen! I think those pic's are way cute. I can't wait until I can see your baby! Good luck!

The Bryner Bunch said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it has been so long already. You two are such an incredible couple and example to Ben and I.

What a nice tribute to an amazing guy:)That SUU pic is one of my favorites of you two...you look like babies...so cute!

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary! What cute pictures of you guys. It was fun hearing about you two. Sounds like you got a great guy! Hang in there the next few days. Can't wait to see pics of the new baby!

JOE BURNS said...

I was acutally just thinking about you guys this weekend and trying to remember how long it had been since you lived in that little apartment in Cedar after getting married. I was remembering when you left us all in Cedar to head off to Arizona as well... tear...
Good times and so many great memories. Like long before Matt was "organized" and he thought he lost his wallet at a gas station during one of our many Cali trips. We back tracked about 100 miles to find his "lost" wallet that was on the floor board of the Mustang next to the gas pedal. haha!! Love you guys congrats an amazing seven years.

Angie Whitman said...

Those are some beautiful wedding photos! WOW...really. That is such a sweet post and Happy Anniversary!

Only 4 days left?? I can't wait to see the pictures of the newest Roper boy! I need to come by and drop off a gift and I am bringing you dinner...have someone e-mail me who's in charge or let me know. I am excited for you!

Amy Y said...

Congratulations! You know all of us girls will read the cheesy stuff, the question is will you husband? I have to chain Nate to the seat to read when I write about him, how sad is that???

Nichols Family said...

Oh wow, it's fun to see younger pics of you and your family because I've only known you the past year or so! I love those wedding photos! Happy Anniversary and I can't wait to see your new boy coming soon! Hang in there.

Chase and Teresa said...

Happy Anniversary! You are lucky to have each other, and we are lucky to have such great friends.