Thursday, December 18, 2008

Traditions

A couple of weeks ago, my Relief Society had an Enrichment about family traditions. Each woman in my ward shared one of her family tradition's. It was so much fun to hear what some of my neighbors and friends do each year at Christmas time. It also made me reflect on some of my own traditions.

The following is a list of what we do each year. Some are small and simple, but all are fun and meaningful to us.

Pajamas
Who doesn't do pajamas on Christmas Eve? It is a tradition of many, including us. This year, however, I got my boys non-Christmas designed pajamas so they aren't wearing reindeer's in July anymore.

Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
A favorite to all lucky enough to eat! Matt's sisters taught me the fine-art of pretzel making and have made me very popular with my ward come neighbor gift-giving time!





Temple Lights
We are lucky enough to live close to a Temple that also decorates its grounds at Christmas time. There is nothing like visiting the Temple at such a special time of year and to be able to take our kids makes it even better!

(This is a pic from last year, we have already gone this year but didn't take any pictures with the lights in the background)

Ornaments
This tradition was adopted from the Bryner's (Jess' in-laws.) Each year, each family member gets to buy a new ornament. I let them pick WHATEVER one they want (which is hard for someone who likes everything to match!) I write their name and the year on the back of the ornament and it goes on the tree. When each one of my children gets married, he will get to have all of his ornaments for his own tree (let me tell you, there have already been some "special" choices for ornaments that I will be glad to get rid of!)

Food
Christmas Eve turkey, Christmas day quiche, Great Aunt Beth's red salad and hot chocolate are all a must!

Christmas Cards
I LOVE getting the mail in December! Seeing all the different pictures and hearing how my friends and family are doing. So fun!

Cookies for Santa
We bake and frost sugar cookies for Santa each year. Wade LOVES it when he wakes up to see an empty cookie plate on Christmas morning!
(Last year's masterpiece!)

Christmas Lights
The lights go up on our house every year. This year we even sprung for giant Frosty. It has been Matt's dream to decorate our house "Griswald style" from "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." Each year we get a little closer to this goal :).

Nativity Scene
Each year we do something that brings the true meaning of Christmas to our celebration. We have watched DVD's, read from the Bible and this year, we plan to act out the Nativity Scene for the first time in our family!

Service
Matt and I feel it is important to teach our children to serve others. We also think it is important for them to know and see that there are other kids out there who don't have a lot and need our help. This year we were able to help a baby girl and her family who has cancer. There is not another feeling that matches the feeling of serving someone. It has been an amazing tradition for our family.

Creating Christmas memories has been such a wonderful opportunity. It is such a fun time of year and I look forward to a lifetime more of new and old traditions with my sweet, little family.

4 comments:

brooke said...

I love all of your traditions, but of course the pretzels are my favorite! I have been hired to make them for coffee shop out here and I owe it all to you. Thanks for all the tips and lessons.

Jess and Brandon said...

Jen! You have such a beautiful family. It is so fun to find your blog.

JOE BURNS said...

I do not believe you went to the temple this year without proof in the form of current pictures. 2007 pics are not allowed.

Anonymous said...

Those pretzels look fantastic!