Saturday, September 5, 2009

Confirmation


I have had it with people telling me their baby ultrasound "horror stories." No one EVER likes to hear that something they think and believe with all their heart is wrong and a this is ESPECIALLY true for a pregnant woman. I am admittedly moody and extremely sensitive and if I hear, one more time, that "an OB told a woman she was having a girl and it came out a boy," I will seriously punch the person talking to me :).

I have literally had at least 10 people tell me they have a friend, relative, co-worker or whatever whom this has happened to. Since I am more anxious and sensitive then usual I have been growing increasingly more and more worried with each story.

I hit my breaking point last week while I was at a sporting goods store and had this conversation with the cashier:
Cashier: "Oh, you're having a boy, right?"
Me: "Actually, I am having a girl."
Cashier: "You are? No way, you are carrying like you are having a boy!"
Me: "Well, I have 3 boys and I am carrying this one differently then I carried them."
Cashier: "When I was pregnant with my son, I carried just like you are and when I had my daughter I was carrying lower and wider."
Me: "Well, I am carrying different and this is lower and wider for me."
Cashier: Gave me a look like I was losing it and was definitely having a boy.

I was nearly in tears when she finally finished ringing me up and left the store. What a not-very-nice person---grrrrrr! Seriously, where do people get off telling you things like that? She doesn't know me or anything about me so what makes her the authority on how to carry a baby?

I might be a little more understanding if it was a man talking to me because he wouldn't have any idea what he was talking about, but EVERY comment and story is from a woman who has been pregnant which means she KNOWS how it feels to be an emotional, hormonal pregnant person.

Last night I lost sleep over worrying about my baby coming out a boy. I would be just fine with a boy--actually just a healthy baby--but I am knee deep in baby girl clothes, bedding, bow-making classes, room decor, etc, etc and decided I needed to know AGAIN that I am having a girl so I can continue or stop my preparations before it is too late.

I called a local "fetal photo" first thing this morning and made an appointment for today. I nervously drove to my appointment, filled out the paperwork and went into the ultrasound room. Within seconds it was CONFIRMED that, oh yes, WE ARE HAVING A GIRL!!!! I was am so relieved and feel like I need to carry the ultrasound pictures around in my pocket to show all the "storytellers."

Now I can continue my blissful girl preparation until the next worry plagues my day :).

P.S. For the record, Matt thought I was completely nuts to want to get another ultrasound, but by now knows a pregnant woman has gotta do what a pregnant woman has gotta do. He is a good husband :).

7 comments:

The Bryner Bunch said...

I am glad that you confirmed the sex for your own piece of mind. It seems like everyone has an opinion when you are pregnant and it gets way old! You should carry the ultrasound with you and whip it out the next time they challenge you:)

Can't wait for baby Rylee!

Unknown said...

I was the same way with Josie. I got ultrasounds every chance I could. Good news - my ultrasounds were right on and yours is too!

Oh and being knee deep in cute girlie things doesn't end once you have your baby - Josie's almost 5 months and I just can't get enough!!

Amy Y said...

Love it! But I told you not to worry, you are different and you know yourself better than anyone else. Can't wait to see all that girly stuff!

The Hunt's said...

I am with you. You do whatever you freaking need to do! I was just flabbergasted by how opinionated and "sure" people were when I was prego and vowed never to say a thing to any pregnant girl other than, "You look darling!" Which, I am positive you do! Yay for pink!!

Scott said...

Good for you, Jen! People don't know what they are talking about. I hate all of the pregnancy urban legends. I would love to see you flip out the pictures at the cashier..."look at THIS, @$#%!". In the nicest way possible, of course.

Anonymous said...

I totally feel your pain. Why is it that when you are pregnant everyone feels they have the right to tell you everything about your body and that they all of a sudden become a complete expert on the subject just because they have had kids before. Everything people told me came out to be wrong because my body is not the same as their body, so I got to say "in your face, nosy people!" :) I know they were just trying to be friendly, and that is human nature. I guess you have to get the bad comments along with the good comments, right?! I would have done the exact same thing you did. :)

Aly said...

You are so cute! I am so happy for you that you are having a girl!! People can be way annoying and I get way annoyed with advice from everyone too!! I am pregnant right now and have been pretty sick, so everyone is convinced it's a boy since they think I am sicker with this one. but really I am the one who knows how I feel and I was sick with the other two as well. People really bug me right now as you can tell. Sorry for the long winded comment. I am way happy for you to get your girl! you are the cutest mom.
Aly