Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Special Events

The past week was filled with a few special events for our family (keep in mind, it doesn't take a lot to impress us :)!)

The first event was...Seth got a haircut. Now, I know most of you told me not to do it and when you look at the pictures, I am sure you will agree that I was very conservative. Just a trim--his hair was getting too scraggly. Now it is better and we were able to maintain the cute style.

Before:





During:


After:

See! Some of you may even be thinking to yourself, "did they even cut it?" Like I have said many times, I love his hair so much, so this was about all I could take!

The next event was a surprise visit from Ampa! It is ALWAYS so wonderful to have my dad visit for all of us! The best part about his visit was that he got to see Wade's soccer season 5 opener. My dad has wanted to see Wade play soccer for a long time now and Wade was thrilled to "perform!"

While our husbands went to "Priesthood session" a bunch of my friends and ward members met at the neighborhood park with our kids. We ate dinner and after park playtime we took them for ice cream/ sno cones. The kids (and I) had a wonderful time running around with their (our)friends. Finally, the best part of the past week was General Conference. I LOVE conference and feel so blessed to have been able to listen to the counsel of the leaders of our church. There were so many wonderful talks. These sessions were the best, so far, for my family because my boys are starting to pay a little bit of attention.

My favorite talk (which was probably yours too) was by M. Russell Ballard. When he said "I want to focus on young mothers," Matt and I were so excited! I feel so loved and appreciated by the church leaders. I know my Father in Heaven appreciates me (and all of you) so much. I love how inspired our leaders are and my testimony is reaffirmed in this each time I hear any of them speak!

I also enjoyed so many other talks and look forward to receiving my "Ensign" and also to study some of the select talks in upcoming Relief Society lessons!

I have to mention my love for President Monson. At first I felt like a piece of the puzzle was missing since President Hinckley was not there, but to hear President Monson's testimony was so comforting and inspiring. I never realized he was so funny! It was fun and moving at the same time to hear him speak! I am excited to hear and see him more in this new role. I know, for sure, we are blessed to have another amazing Prophet.

12 comments:

Marie Holmes said...

I love Sethie's hair! That was a perfect cut.
Alyssa went up to Granny's the other day to play for an hour and insisted that Wade come RIGHT NOW! Mom got her to settle for a conversation with Matt.(Wade was napping) I love that my kids have those cute boys for cousins!
I loved general conference too and especially the talk you mentioned. After going through our daily routines, it seems like nobody notices and it doesn't make much difference. It was nice to know that we are contributers to the great cause!
That's so fun to have your dad come. I can tell the boys are thrilled.

Marie Holmes said...

Hey Jen,
I realized that I was using Jocey's account. Check out her blog. She'll be so excited!
Love, Mer

Julie said...

Love the new haircut...I love his curls and would be very cautious of cutting them too! Looks like you had a fun week with your dad! Enjoy the warm weather for me...I'm so jealous!

Marie Holmes said...

Hi aunt Jen!!! I love how your blog looks!!! And this time, I'm using MY own acount!!! I don't know why my mom was using my blog... I love seth's long curly hair!
I'm glad that I can leave peaple messegas ..... If you have any tips on blogging, tell me!
We miss you guys!!! Love, Jocey P.s. I wrote some words wrong...

Sorensen Family said...

I am so glad you didn't cut too much off of Seth's hair, it is so darling! Looks like you guys had a great weekend in sunny AZ!

Love,
Linsey

Unknown said...

What a fun weekend! I love Seth's haircut. He has the best hair, I am jealous of it!
That is so fun that your dad spontaneously comes out to visit. What a great Ampa!

The Hunt's said...

Perfect job on Seth's hair. It looks very cute!

I echo your feelings on President Monson, President Hinckely was so engaging and so easy to love, I was having difficulty with the transition, but hearing President Monson speak affirmed to me that it's not the man, it's the calling, and if we and he are all humble in that fact it is easier to support and sustain one another.

I am jealous of your warm AZ days, it just won't warm up here in St. Louis!

Brody Purser said...

I LOVE Seth's hair...and am so glad you didn't cut it off. Looks like a great time with your dad.

Love the pictures from the Father/Sons, I am sure they had a blast.

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

OK, I'm cool with the haircut! Looks adorable, as usual!

Angie Whitman said...

Cute post and pic's. Did you shave your boys heads when they were babies? Jax has this funky mullet thing going and this swirl of hair at the crown of his head...Hmmm...it makes him look like an old man when it gets pushed forward (naturally does this). I keep trying to push it to the side. Any ideas?
G.C. was so great. I loved seeing Pres Monson and I couldn't deny the mantle he now holds...it radiated from him. I wondered to if it would be hard to see him fill the shoes of Pres Hinckley because they are so different. He does!

The Bryner Bunch said...

Fun week! I also, loved that talk and was really happy to hear Pres. Monson speak. I guess, when you become the Prophet you can be funny...I love it!

We wish that we could have participated in more of your events this week, but I know we'll have many more to come!

Love you.

Marcae said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to cut off those curls. That is his signature.
It looks like you guys had a fun and eventful weekend. I too loved General Conference. I always feel so rejuviated after conference weekend.
Hope you are enjoying the sun!! Send some our way!