Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fall Break

In the past I have complained about the LENGTHY "school breaks" we take here in AZ, but this year is different. I guess since I, actually, have a child in school (kindersteps counts ;)!), the break was welcomed with open arms. It was a chance to relax from, not only the daily routine of school, but also soccer, music and joy school for Seth.

If you know me, you are probably wondering why I was excited to stray from my beloved routine--I am obsessed with routines. The answer is pretty simple, I needed a break from things too. I knew the exact length of the break and when school (and routine) would start again, therefore allowing me to comfortably stray just a bit and RELAX.

During this break, Wade and Seth became closer friends then ever, which has been wonderful. There were hours of imaginative play and hours of playing games they invented themselves. I am so excited that they discovered each other.

It may sound weird for me to say they "discovered" each other, but up until this break they played together but didn't play together (does that make sense?) Most of their past playing was Seth following Wade around--mostly pushing trucks, riding bikes or throwing pillows around, etc. Now, they play all sorts of games they just invent. I couldn't even describe or name how they play.

For example, when they were playing yesterday, they each had a stuffed animal. They were running around throwing them up in the air and catching them or not. Then they ran over to the stairs and used the railing as a jail. The stuffed animals had names and were apparently doing something bad (hence going to jail) and that is about it. Sounds kinda silly, huh? Well, they are 4 and 2 and all I can say is, "whatever keeps them entertained and happy is fine by me!" I LOVE to see them play. I hope their friendship grows as they do into a lifetime of fun memories of silly games and adventures!

No, we didn't spend our entire break playing "jail" with stuffed animals. Here is a summary of the rest:

DISNEYLAND!
I can hardly believe it has been almost a whole year since we have been to Disneyland (I was barely pregnant with Trent last time!) Now that we are a little older and a little wiser and not pregnant (yippee--loved the "Tower of Terror!), we got to go back. Wade is definitely a little wiser and more reluctant to go on the "scary" rides. He did, however, go on them, but was a lot more nervous about it this time around.



We went with Jess, Ben and Logan. It was a lot of fun! Both Trent and Logan really enjoyed their first Disneyland experience. Trent was a dream. He is such a good baby. He loved riding in the stroller, in the moby wrap or riding on the rides he could go on. Whatever we did, he was happy.

[sidenote: do any of you moms know about baby house on main street at Disneyland? It is the COOLEST place ever. The "cast members" are dressed like Mary Poppins and the house they work in is decorated like an old fashioned nursery. There is an area for nursing--4 rocking chairs behind a curtained area, pumping, several changing tables, high chairs, mini toilets and a microwave to warm baby food or formula. They also have diapers, bottles, etc available for purchase if you forgot your own. This place was the best! ]

San Diego
On our way to Disneyland we spent a night in San Diego. I found a hotel on Expedia that is usually $545 a night--yes, you read that right--$545 a night, but I got it for $110 after all the fee's, etc were paid (score!) It was the NICEST hotel I have ever stayed in. It was fun to feel rich for a night :)!



When we woke up the next morning, I ran on the boardwalk while Matt had breakfast with the kids. We, then, went down to the beach. Keep in mind it was about 70 degrees. To my kids, 70 degrees is below freezing. They were troopers though. We, obviously, did not get in the water, but played at the shore. Trent LOVED the sand.
Seth was scared to death of the water, he would not let it touch him--it is kinda funny when Seth meets his match (translation: something or someone that HE doesn't get to torture with is mischievousness!)
Wade enjoyed running along the shore letting the water run over his feet.


Friends
The boys were able to have lots of playgroups over the break. A young woman in our ward even put on a little day camp for the kids so she could earn some extra money. Wade had a blast! He made a cute halloween bag, played games and ate treats--perfect! We also helped one of Seth's little friends celebrate her 3rd b-day (Happy Birthday Payton!)

5 months

Trent turned 5 months over the break. I can't believe how fast time is going. I just did his 4 month post! Not much has changed in a month's time except that, in addition to rice cereal, he has ventured out to baby food. He has been working on green beans and doesn't like them a whole lot, we will see if he has a different opinion on peas in a couple of days :).

I am also in the beginning stages of weaning him. I only want to nurse for 6 months so I have started the process. He is okay with formula (hopefully he starts liking it better real soon.)

Another noteworthy subject: I get these weekly emails that tell me where my baby should be milestone wise, etc and it said he should be sitting on his own. Well he isn't and it made me feel so bad I am about to unsubscribe from the list--silly emails, what do they know anyway? :) So, I have been working with him on this. I sit him up and let go and he IS able to balance (that is until he moves at all.) :) We will keep trying. In the end, I am so thankful he is such a good baby. He lets me be crazy and doesn't even mind a bit.

Cleaning/ Redecorating
I took advantage of the downtime to reorganize my guest room closet. I feel so relieved it is done, but it took me a bit to accomplish it. It took so long, my sweet baby, really, fell asleep on the floor like this. He is so cute!

I am still working on some projects for Trent's room (note to self: FINISH the nursery BEFORE baby is born next time or you will never get it done!) A couple of my friends and I worked/ are working together on some memory boards and magnet boards. Pictures to come when they are done.

So that about sums it up. Wade started back at school this past Wednesday and was thrilled to do so. It was a good break--perfect amount of time. The week back was short, so it went by really fast. We also got a visit from Gary and Shirley this weekend. It is always so fun to see them, they are wonderful!! (These pics are at Wade's soccer game)




10 comments:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

The Carnation Baby Center on Main Street is my favorite secret to share with anyone going to Disneyland with kids! It's SO awesome. I would always go there to change Mason's diapers -- it was always less crowded and just seemed a little cleaner than the public restrooms. They've got one in California Adventure, too, behind the Tortilla Factory.
Sounds like you had a great break - fun pictures! You're so great at documenting everything.

JOE BURNS said...

That could be a world record post Jen. Good stuff looks like you guys had an awesome trip to California. Sounds like Trent is afraid of the water just like dad. haha... Reminds me of the time we went to California and Matt puked up his Denny's breakfast in the ocean while caught in a rip tide. He nearly drowned.

Nichols Family said...

Jen- see my blog I'm going private. I need your email. :)

brooke said...

I am so sad that you were so close to me and I didn't see you. Next time you guys do D-land you have to call me. We are always up for a trip! Miss you!

The Venutis said...

We have yet to go to disneyland:( Looks like lots of fun. Your kids are darling!!!!

Sorensen Family said...

YEAH for the Tower of Terror! Love that ride! We call it "TOT"
Disneyland looks like it was so much fun. Nice "BOB" by the way. Hey so did Wade walk the whole time???? We are going in January and I don't know what to do about the stroller thing for Pax. It is such a long day. I will have to talk to you about that. Hey I will call you this week in the evening, after the kids are in bed.

Talk to you soon,
Linsey

Unknown said...

Wow, you guys had a busy break! My favorite part is the deal you got on the hotel in San Diego - awesome!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You guys have been busy. How fun that the boys are playing with each other and Disney Land looked like a blast! I can't wait til Reagan is old enough for us to take him there. So glad to see that you are all doing well.

Love, Scott, Bekah, & Reagan

Armstrongs said...

What a great break! Chase and Nolan have been playing well together lately and it is sooo great. By the way, what hotel in San Diego did you stay at? Where in San Diego were you? Email me when you get a chance I would love to chat and catch up!

Vanes said...

Your trip to CA looked SO fun! I'm needing a trip to Disneyland VERY much!! :) I love blogging - SO fun to see Trent (and all the boyz) grow up! :)