Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wade's birthday party


What do you get when you take six 4 and 5 year olds to see a movie (without their parents in tow?) You might be thinking you would get a disaster, but we, actually, had a GREAT time! I know, pretty ambitious, huh?

A few weeks before Wade's birthday I began to think about what we could do to celebrate and checked out some ideas online and with some of my friends. The general consensus Matt and I came to was this: birthday parties are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! I looked at so many options and most of them were around $200 dollars--are you kidding me? In my opinion, that is outrageous for a birthday party. Not to mention, that was the CHEAPEST price at some of these places and only included 8 kids or so.

I did a "home party" last year and decided that was the LAST time I would do that. It was too much work and I still spent a significant amount of money--too much to make it worth it to do it again :). Plus I was left with a messy house :(.

After talking it over with Matt, we decided to take Wade and 5 of his friends to see "Madagascar 2." Between the two of us, all the kids fit nicely and safely into our vehicles and we were off. Between ticket purchases, one large popcorn to share (free refills) and candy (that I snuck into the theater in a big bag--okay, I know I am cheap) the entire party was about $70 dollars!

The kids LOVED the movie and after we went back to our house for cake and presents, which made it a nice little break for the parents of the invited guests. All in all, I HIGHLY recommend a movie party! So fun and so cheap! Wade's friends are STILL talking about how cool it was that they got to see a movie without their own parents!



P.S. I have also decided to implement the b-day party "every other year" rule so next year is a party with the fam! :)

No comments: