Sunday, August 19, 2012

Human Nature

Human nature is a funny thing.  It's something that you are born with and have little control over.  I often find myself hiding a smile when I use reverse psychology on my kiddos to get them to do anything they usually wouldn't (for example eat the rest of their dinner, clean up the toys, etc) by "allowing" one of their siblings to do the dreaded activity instead.  To put it simply...we want what we cannot have.

A week ago, I was told I was going to be paralyzed on the left side of my body and in a wheel chair for the rest of my life.  A week ago, I was told I might die therefore leaving all of my babies behind.  Both of these things are horrifying--especially for someone who is only 33 years old.  As you can imagine I have felt pretty much every emotion--in every way-- you can feel this week.  And I think I have reached a point where my mind has taken a break.  I'm all "emotioned" out--maybe even a little numb.

As I ponder my situation during my "break", I am left feeling the most curious about human nature.  When I was told I might not be here to raise my babies, I immediately made a secret vow to spend every waking second with my children from here on out enjoying them, loving them and soaking it all up...well there is one small problem with this...my kiddos are WAY to little to get what is going on with me so they are still SUPER naughty ;)!!!  They did not get the memo that mom is sick and they are supposed to be perfect angels from now on!!  To put it bluntly--church was HORRIBLE today!

My kids could care less that this might be our last Sunday together at church in who knows how long and proceeded to scream, fight, cry, whine, go to the bathroom every 5 minutes, walk around like they owned the place, acted like they do every other Sunday today.  They also continued this behavior at home too!  Tumor or no tumor--it is REALLY HARD to be loving and patient with 5 naughty little monkey's!

Another example is running...I LOVE to run...MOST of the time.  I would actually venture to say I have a love/hate relationship with running.  I LOVE the results, endorphins and traveling to races with my friends that running brings to my life.  I HATE waking up early to run outside and the inevitable injuries and how I cannot break 4 hours in a marathon race part of running.  When the neurosurgeon told me I might not be able to run again, I was honestly devastated, BUT I wonder how much of this was human nature?  How much of my devastation came from him telling me I couldn't do it made me want it that much more?

I don't do limbo well.  The way my mom passed away was the best way, in my opinion.  She died suddenly, without warning or sickness.  It was much easier to cope with something so absolute.  My family and I were able to pick up the pieces and deal with our situation because there was not any wondering, waiting or hoping--she was gone and we had to deal with it.  Cancer is much more gray and messy.  Lots and lots of unknown.

I have known I've had a tumor for a week--it has been there for years, but I have only known for a week and I feel like I found out this news 10 years ago.  To say it has been a long week is a huge understatement.  On the other hand, we have been living moment to moment from the second we found out.  From appointment, to phone call, to speaking with this doctor, to taking this prescription.  It is not a comfortable way of living and I'm anxious to leave it behind quickly.

Barrow called on Friday and my MRI mapping appointment is on Wednesday.  I'm SO excited!  Can I say that?!  I'm just excited to keep the ball rolling and get this surgery over with so I know what I'm dealing with.  Fingers crossed for a surgery date early next week.  I will keep you posted.  In the meantime, please keep the prayers coming.  I'm not lying when I say I need them and I FEEL them.  The goal for this week is to act as "normal" as possible.  I AM going to play with my kiddos, BUT I'm also going to do the laundry, clean the kitchen, make school lunches and even try to exercise...so here's to me doing what I want to do all week long :).

11 comments:

azandersens said...

Hi Jen, My name is Holly. I went to high school with Matt, and now he's my dentist! I'm Chase & Russell's cousin . . . and Matt's somehow distantly. My heart goes out to you. I am a runner also and have young children, and I can't imagine what you're going through. Will be sending prayers your way.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Thank you for continuing to post your experiences here.

Jamie Christensen said...

Jen we are praying for you and your family.

TheWrightStuff said...

Hi, my name is Missy, and I went to high school with Julie. Reading your blog hit so close to home. My husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 years ago almost exactly. It was a normal summer and suddenly our world was turned upside down when he had a seizure out of the blue and we found out it was a tumor on the right side of his brain. I am writing this to give you HOPE. He had brain surgery, we found an amazing surgeon, (and we too walked out of that appt with so much peace and even went and celebrated after news that he had a brain tumor)We started seeing the tender mercies as soon as our trial began. After surgery, my husband was paralyzed on the left side of his body. It was so scary for us. They couldn't tell us if he would ever walk again or be able to be the same. This is where the Lord comes in and gets involved with that stupid statistic stuff. My husband Jed was determined to get better and worked very hard to get it back. Very long story short- he is doing GREAT and even ran a marathon and broke 4 hours for the 1st time exactly 1 year after his surgery. He is working full time for the FBI and is training for an IRONMAN. You would never know that he was paralyzed or that he even had brain surgery (you can't even see his scar) We would love to help in anyway we can. I can relate with your husband and Jed can relate with you. I wish we could've talked to someone in our situation that could give us hope. Please feel free to contact us if you need anything. My email is missmissymoss@hotmail.com. I also kept a blog during the whole thing if you are interested in reading that. We are praying for you and you ARE going to get through this. We believe in you!
Love
Missy and Jed

Trish said...

i found your blog through IG... you have just an amazing disposition! i admire you! will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Nicole H. said...

Oh my goodness Jen!! I haven't seen you in way too long. I saw Lisa's post to you and it peaked my interest. And I'm glad it did!! Girl this post made me cry. You are amazing and so strong. I know that is hard to hear. I know you are SO loved in this community. You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Nicole H. said...

Oh my goodness Jen!! I haven't seen you in way too long. I saw Lisa's post to you and it peaked my interest. And I'm glad it did!! Girl this post made me cry. You are amazing and so strong. I know that is hard to hear. I know you are SO loved in this community. You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Miranda said...

Sister Roper,
Can I just tell you how amazing you are? When I heard the news I just felt sick for the rest of the day.... How could something like this be happening to my Sister Roper and her sweet family? As I've read your blog it's amazing how many people your story has already touched..... You are an amazing woman.... I admire your positive outlook and your strength! I know as well that you are gonna make it through this! You and Matt are SO strong and are SO faithful! I have no doubt that Heavenly Father will be in that surgery room with you and that he will be guiding the hands of that surgeon to make you well again! I sure love you and I am praying for you and your family constantly!

Bekah Shakespear said...

I too do not do well with "limbo"...AT all. I can only imagine how you are feeling and how hard it is to wait and also to try and act like life is normal. Human nature certainly is a crazy and ironic thing. I drive myself crazy with the mind games I play on myself sometimes. Uggghh! :)

marcee said...

Jen, you are so REAL. I love that about you! You say it like it is and you don't pretend to be someone you're not. Being a mommy is hard work and especially when we have visions of how perfect we want things to be. Just know that your sweet little family looks pretty close to perfect right now from where I stand.

Krista said...

I found your blog through a link on facebook and just wanted to thank you for being willing to share your experiences on a blog. I admire your optimism even when faced with a trial like this! My heart goes out to you and your family. We will be keeping you in our prayers!