Monday, August 27, 2012

MRI Results

Dr. Nakaji's nurse practitioner called this morning with my functional MRI results (also known as "MRI mapping".)  She said that a good part of the tumor is not on or near my motor strip so Doctor should have no problem removing that portion which was great news.  She also had some not-so-great news: the other part of the tumor is covering much more of the motor strip than the original MRI showed which means a few things:

1.  He will be leaving much more of the tumor behind than originally anticipated

2.  Once the tumor goes through pathology and is considered cancerous I will be doing radiation and chemo therapy to reduce the size of the remaining tumor

On the bright side here are some other things the results confirmed:

1.  I will NOT be having an awake surgery.  The reason an awake surgery was considered would be so my Dr. could be extremely aggressive with the removal of the tumor.  I would need to be awake in order for them to test my motor skills while he was cutting.  The original MRI indicated this would be a possibility, risk of paralysis would be a little greater, but it would be potentially worth it because the entire tumor would be gone.

2.  I will most likely have NO paralysis!!  This is fantastic news in my opinion!  The reason I run a low risk to any paralysis is the Dr. is going to be a lot less aggressive thus eliminating most of the risk of any paralysis.  I will still be hooked to sensors (officially known as evoked potential monitoring) during the surgery that will alert my Dr. if he is getting too close to the motor strip so he knows to back off.  The nurse said she expects me to come through the surgery with flying colors and I might even be home within 3 days!!

3.  There is STILL a chance the tumor in NOT cancerous.  Every doctor and radiologist that has looked at my tumor through X-ray has said it looks malignant, BUT no one can be sure until it is biopsied.  If, in fact, it is NOT cancerous, I will be DONE with all of this after surgery, just routine MRI's to ensure the tumor has not grown or changed since surgery.  That would be amazing!

She confirmed that I still wanted to go forward with surgery or gave me the option to meet with Dr. Nakaji again to discuss further options.  I immediately told her I want the surgery and she said she'd let the scheduler know and that we are anxious to get this going.  When I hung up the phone, I wondered why she would ask if I wanted to talk to the Dr. again?  I mean, what more is there to talk about?  My mind began to wander...

I believe a second consultation would be to discuss NOT removing the tumor at this time or simply taking a biopsy of the tumor, before removing most of it, to confirm it is cancerous.  After thinking about that, I stand firm in my decision to remove as much of the tumor as possible--it seems like the only option to me.  In the slim chance that it isn't malignant, it is still in there growing, changing, giving me seizures and could potentially grow into cancer anyway.  Even if it isn't malignant, I think I will be glad that a good chunk of it will be gone from my brain.

One of the biggest blessings in all of this, that I haven't mentioned yet, is that my health insurance covers all of this 100% unlimited after we meet our deductible of $7000.  I've already heard 100's of horror stories where people have had to fore go chemo pills, radiation treatments, or even surgery because their insurance reached the maximum.  Other's who have gone bankrupt because their chemo, anti-nausea, etc pills cost $1,100.00 dollars a week.  A week!  I am SO blessed!

Yes, I have a brain tumor, but I have the BEST doctor at the BEST facility, wonderful insurance, and the BEST family and friends who have been rallying around me since my diagnosis.  The prayers ARE working.  THE PRAYERS ARE WORKING!  Thank you for the prayers!  I am more confident than ever that I will be back to my normal self before any of you know it :).

11 comments:

The Venutis said...

I have been waiting for news. So happy for your blessings. I will be praying for number 3 : ), but know it will turn out either way. XOXO

Haley said...

All in all, it is GREAT news! Thanks for the update. I've been checking it constantly to see what the next step would be. I'm thinking about you ALL the time and telling so many people about your trial and the upbeat attitude you have. Thank you so much for being an example to so many people you don't even know. Love you lots and hoping for the best. Let us know when the actual surgery is!

Anonymous said...

Wow - this IS great news! I am so grateful for this doctor and his knowledge. Thanks again for keeping us all updated (with such amazing details that we feel like you are talking to us) So glad the prayers are working because we think of you all the time and thats all we can do. Thank goodness thats whats most important - Love you Jen!

The Herberts said...

You are AMAZING!! I am so happy to hear your news! What a blessing to hear your insurance will be covering 100% and give you a little less to worry about! I am so inspired each time I read your posts! We will continue sending lots of prayers up for you and your cute little family! We stand ready at a moment's notice for anything you may need!! Sending all of our love!

Bekah Shakespear said...

I am SO glad to hear the news. It sounds very positive overall and that is always a good thing. Let us know when you are going in for surgery so we can lend a helping hand. I am sure you are very ready to be through with all of this! Hang in there. Loves!

Bekah

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jen! We are with you all the way!
xoxo.
Auntie Becky

Nichols Family said...

Jen! U R sooo awesome! We Will be behind you 2000% next week...and then some! Luv u a ton! Prayers and a million hugs.
Jennie and Trent

Kristen said...

Gives me tears!!! You rock, and thanks for bringing us along for the ride; It's inspiring.

Lisa said...

Sorry I am catching up on your blog. I just wanted you to know that I had no paralysis after my surgery. I know my family was so excited when I began to move all my parts. I believe I was walking same day, if not next. (Short term memory loss should be expected btw). My tumor is cancerous, but such is life. Have you been tested to see if you have the positive gene IDH1? Mine was positive and doctors told me it gave me a better chance. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Such GREAT news Jen!! I will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow! I know you will be in the Lords hands, and His will will be done. You are strong and awesome and have many family and friends that love and support you, all will work out! Love Ya,
Terry

TinaD said...

I came across your blog - OH MY! You are a strong and courageous woman! I am sending every ounce of positive thought and prayer your way. Wishing you much luck and a quick recovery!