Wednesday, August 22, 2012

MRI Mapping

Today was a big day.  Dr. Nakaji told me that MRI mapping would have to take place before surgery.  MRI mapping is basically as it sounds: a MRI is done to create a map to show my doctor where he can cut my tumor without interfering with my motor strip.  It is a sad, but already true statement that I feel like an old pro when it comes to MRI's even though the first one I ever had was 10 days ago.  I wasn't scared, in the slightest, for today's MRI, I was actually excited to keep this ball rolling and one step closer to getting this tumor OUT of my head!

I had several wonderful friends watch my baby's while Jess drove me down to Phoenix to St. Joe's Hospital where my MRI was scheduled.  We walked in and the office manager seemed a little surprised I was there.. "Is this your phone number?," she asked me and then proceeded to rattle off a number with a 928 area code (Flagstaff.)  "Uhhhh, no!?," I said.  "Well that explains why we couldn't confirm your appointment, yesterday."  Okay, I'm starting to feel a little panicked now.  Were they still going to see me?  Are they going to confuse my file with this other girl's when it comes to surgery time?  Why don't they organize patients by SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS????  Come on people!!

The lady "promised" that she entered me as a new patient and there shouldn't be a problem, but if any of you know Jess, she WAS NOT comfortable with that and re-asked her to confirm that the other Jennifer Roper would have nothing to do with my folder.  I WILL be asking again though.  It is my brain he's cutting into!!!  I don't want to come out with my arm or something else cut off too ;).

After waiting just a minute, I was called into the back and asked to remove my belt and jewelry.  Then problem #2 happened.  I have a non-hormonal IUD and the nurse thought that it wouldn't be compatible with the grade of the MRI machine so we had to call my OB and confirm what type of IUD while the radiologist went and asked my Dr. if they should still go ahead with it all.  20 minutes later it's a go and I'm laying on the MRI table with my instructions.

The next hour was filled with several tests.  I had all of the normal MRI gear on (refer to "Grey's Anatomy" or "House" if you are wondering what "MRI gear" is) and also some goggles that are similar to what you look through when getting an eye exam.  My instructions were to wiggle my tongue while keeping my mouth shut, holding as still as possible and looking through the goggles to "stop " or "go" when it tells me to for 3 minutes.  I also did the same thing, but tapped my left index finger and another time moving my left big toe.  Each segment was 3 minutes and I did each one 3 times.  The hardest part of it all was keeping my eyes open to follow the "stop" or "go" command.  I also had to read a story and letters silently and look at pictures.  I just wanted to fall asleep so bad.  I kept thinking to myself "You've done things WAY harder than this, you CAN do this!  Do NOT fall asleep!"

Now for problem #3...After all of that they needed to do some pictures with "contrast."  Remember "contrast"?  NOT my favorite thing, BUT they did do a WAY better job with it here than at Mercy Gilbert, that is AFTER they got the IV into my vein which took 5 TIMES!!  Yes, 5 TIMES until they finally got the darn needle in--I felt like a pin cushion!  The best part of these pictures were that I could keep my eyes shut and just relax.  All they want you to do during a MRI is hold still and it was easy and nice :).

So, my 1 hour appointment was actually 3!  Yikes!  I'm exhausted and relieved to have it all done with. The radiologist said surgery is usually scheduled within 2-3 days of MRI mapping, but my gut is saying early next week.  I will post when I know my date.  Thank you again for all the comments, texts, emails, etc.  I read them and appreciate them so much.  Please keep prayers coming--I need those too :).



13 comments:

Dana Marchant said...

Go Jen, go!

Michelle Y. said...

Thanks so much for your updates. I think about you and pray for you every day.

Marcae said...

TYes, THANK YOU for keeping us updated! Jen, you're a ROCK STAR!!!

Amanda Swinn said...

Love you girl! Praying for you and knowing you can get through this!!!

Gretchen said...

I left town just as I heard the news and am just now getting back for the update. ( thanks to some middle of the night jet lag.) I am crying tears of happiness for you and your example, and faith and so thankful for the blessed protection that is yours. I know good things are going to come of this. Love and prayers are with you!

Unknown said...

I can imagine how Jess would have been at the hospital making sure that they had the RIGHT Jennifer Roper. It makes me smile to think of you two getting after that together. It's a good visual. You're going to do this. The more I read and hear the more confident that I am that you're going to come through this amazingly!

Nichols Family said...

Youve got this baby!!!! You are an old pro now! :) great job! Love you and miss you! Thx for updates!
Jennie Nichols and fam

Bekah Shakespear said...

Glad to hear everything went well! It is nice to be able to read your updates on here. Let me know if I can take your kiddo's for you when you go in for your surgery. Now just hang in there, I know you will do GREAT! :)

Steph said...

You are amazing Jenn. You are going to hit this one out of the ball park!

Unknown said...

Jen,
I don't know if you will remember me or not. I am Marlene's next door neighbor, Pat Martinez. She has included me about your issues from the day they were told you had had a stroke. I have to tell you, Jen, I don't think I have ever known/known of ANYONE that has handled this kind of situation as well as you have. In reading your blog, I feel, from you, all the emotions.....fear,loss, the unknown, hurt, love, living for today, happiness, togetherness, hope, faith and any other emotion that would fit in between. You have reaffirmed my own faith, hope and love for today and my own future. You are an awesome woman, Jen. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Love to you all, Pat

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jen! That was not as long as I thought it would be...somebody said 6 hours. Sounds like it went fine, once they figured out who you are! Prayers keep coming! Keep us posted! We love you! Becky

Haley said...

Jenny,
I'm praying really, really hard for you and your family. You are such an optimist and are such a great example to me. Thinking of you constantly,

-Your childhood bestie

Johanna Klomann said...

MRI contrast is a thousand times better than CT contrast, huh? Congrats on your MRI and getting one step closer!! If you need anything or have any questions, gimme a holler!