Wednesday, August 15, 2012

McDreamy

If you know me well, you know I'm a celebrity junkie.  I heart all things celebrity.  I have an "US Weekly" subscription I read cover to cover each week, an "US Weekly" app on my phone, record "E News" each week--the whole bit.  I talk about the Kardashian's like they are my friends.  I watch reality TV.  I love it.  There aren't many non-reality shows I watch, but "Grey's Anatomy" is one of them.

Throughout the past few days, I have thought about several episodes of "Grey's."  I mean, it really is my only knowledge of all this medical stuff going on with me.  When I got my MRI, I kept thinking about when they do that on the show.  When I spoke with several doctors I thought about the way they interacted with me and each other and how closely it resembles the doctors on "Grey's Anatomy."  Props to the writers of that show--they do a pretty good job.

Today was more than a perfect day.  I met my own, real life "McDreamy" (aka Derek Shepherd, the neurosurgeon, played by Patrick Dempsey on "Grey's.")  Peter Nakaji from "Barrow Neurosurgical Institute" is going to save my life.

After speaking with the neurosurgeon at the hospital I was diagnosed at, Matt and I were left feeling pretty hopeless that I would live a completely normal life again.  The surgeon was very diplomatic.  He gave me all the risks and laid it on the table for Matt and I to decide.  He was careful to protect himself and did not offer too much comfort.  He was not the surgeon for me and I knew that almost immediately.

I get that a neurosurgeon needs to state the risks of the surgery they are about to perform--they are cutting into your brain for crying out loud, but I need a surgeon that states the risks, but couples that with confidence and encouragement.  From the minute I was diagnosed, EVERYONE said I needed to be at "Barrow's."  Today I found out why.  "Barrow's" is the "Harvard" of Neurology.  Who wouldn't want the best of the best cutting into your brain?  

I had a day and half at home between being discharged from the hospital and my appointment this morning and have been flooded with hundreds and hundreds of texts, emails, comments and notes.  Everyone has been praying for me and my family, many have fasted and I am here to tell you all that Miracle #1 (the first of many) has already happened this morning.  I believe the Lord has answered these prayers and has been directing me and my life to this point for quite awhile now.  There are so many things--LITTLE things--that have lead me to the here and now.   

My appointment was early and for this I was grateful.  When my alarm went off at 5:15am, I popped out of bed like it was Christmas morning.  I had a date with destiny and did not want to be late!  Matt, Jess, Julie and I were on the road at 6:00am.  We traveled to downtown Phoenix quickly and were all nervously optimistic as we walked into the waiting room.

I filled out my paperwork and we were sent back to an examination room.  In walks Tammy, Dr. Nakaji's nurse practitioner.  I immediately liked her.  She was so warm and nice.  She asked for my "story" and her eyes filled with tears as we discussed how "rocked" our world has been these past few days especially because I have 5 small children.  We then asked her opinion of Dr. Nakaji.  Tammy's eyes filled with tears again as she expressed what an incredible man Dr. is.  She said we will definitely see for ourselves when we meet him.  A few short minutes later..."McDreamy" walked in.

Handsome, confident, kind and smart are the words to describe Dr. Nakaji.  I knew when he walked in the door, he was going to fix me and he was going to do it right.  It was an undeniable feeling, called the Holy Ghost, that spoke to not only me, but Matt, Jess and Julie in the same way.  Before meeting Dr. Nakaji, I kept telling people that I needed a surgeon who had the perfect amount of confidence.  Let's face it, if your confident enough to cut into a human's brain on a daily basis, you have to be confident, but I've met many, many OVERLY confident doctors in my day and I knew I didn't want that either.

Dr. Nakaji is confident yet comfortable.  He eats craniotomies for breakfast.  When he was explaining the procedure to me, it was the same way I'd tell a friend how to make a chocolate chip cookie (my specialty.)  He knows what he's talking about, he does it everyday--multiple times a day and he is comfortable doing this surgery.  He knows it.  

Even though he does these surgeries everyday, he did not make me feel like a "number"--another notch on his belt--he was VERY sympathetic to me and my situation and wants to get as much--if not all--of this tumor out, BUT maintain a very high quality of life for me.  Bottom line--he does not want me in a wheelchair and will do everything he can to prevent this.

So this is the plan...another MRI with brain "mapping" will take place early next week.  Mapping will be done to determine how close this tumor is to my motor strip (which controls my movements on the left side of my body.)  It will also determine whether or not I have an "awake" surgery.  All of this will be done in order for Dr. to cut out as much of the tumor as possible without interfering with my motor strip.  An "awake" surgery would be done so Dr. could ask me to move my arm, leg, etc during the surgery while he looks at my brain and determines how much of the tumor he can cut to , again, avoid interfering with that motor strip.

Following MRI mapping will be surgery--most likely in less than 2 weeks from now.  1 or 2 days in the ICU, a couple more in recovery and I'll be home unless I do have some paralysis in which case I will go straight to rehab and start working on regaining my strength in those affected limbs.  His goal is to get me home ASAP.  He believes patients do better when they get to go home and be where they are comfortable.

Dr. Nakaji spent over 30 minutes with us answering any and all of our questions.  He had an answer--a good one--for everything.  The four of us left the appointment beaming--does that really happen when you are talking about a brain tumor?!  It was amazing!!

My spirit is so high I feel like I am flying.  I already knew I'd beat this and now I have no doubt.  I have felt your prayers and I have needed them.  I still need them.  YOUR prayers are what sent me to "Barrow's", YOUR prayers are what fit me into Dr. Nakaji's schedule, YOUR prayers are helping me to smile and laugh with my family today like it is any other day.  For that, I thank you.  I love you.  Our Heavenly Father is blessing me immensely and I will be around to raise my babies!

27 comments:

Chase and Teresa said...

I've been anxiously/nervously checking your blog and Facebok all day. I'm glad you are feeling so much confidence from going to Dr "McDreamy." (Now to find Dr. McSteamy) Love you, and of course will keep praying for you and your family.

Kristy Martin said...

I cried as I read this. But it was a MUCh different cry than the days before. It was a happy, excited, filled with peace cry. So glad today turned out so stinkin good! Love you!

Chase and Teresa said...

Just thinking about my comment, and realized Dr. McSteamy is a plastic surgeon. . .no, I don't think you need a plastic surgeon. Haha

Nichols Family said...

So great to hear the updates today! We know you are in good hands and you will tremendously be taken care of. We are standing beside you always!
-Jennie and Trent

meghan said...

So so glad to hear good news! I'm so happy for you guys and this is truly the first of many great miracles coming your way!

becca said...

Jenn! You are so amazing! I loved reading this post. so so glad everything went well...and you found your McDreamy. :) Amazing!!
such a powerful post and written so well. love you, Jenn and your sweet family! keeping you constantly in our thoughts & prayers!!!

Heidi said...

Jen, that is awesome news!! I have been thinking about you non stop since I heard from Kristy on Saturday. You are so strong and such an example to me! I can't wait to hear more good news and I will continue to pray for you :) stay strong girl! You are surrounded by great family and friends, I know.. But if there is anything I can ever do for you please let me know! Xoxo -Heidi Stanford

Marie Holmes said...

I'm so happy you found the right Doc! All of my friends at school have been checking in on you all day! Thanks for giving us the great update. You have sooooo many people cheering you on!
Our little family loves you guys so much! We can't wait to see you and the kids!

The Herberts said...

I have to say I feel like I have been a little/lot-a-bit stalker. I have logged onto your blog several times today hoping to get an update. Laloni filled me in at pac meeting, which I was relieved to hear such good news. :) To read this and completely feel your warrior spirit and, of course, be touched by the Spirit... tears of joy for you and your cute family streaming down my face! What a wonderful example of faith, attitude and determination! You are going to beat this and raise those babies!!! You are truly an inspiration! You will continue to be at the front of our thoughts and definitely in our prayers! Jen, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you at any time! Hugs!!

Church Fam said...

Jenn this post was so great to read. I feel your strength and sweet testimony coming through your words. You are amazing! I feel peace just reading it. I love that you found an amazing doctor. you and your family have been in all our prayers these last few days and will continue to,

Unknown said...

Yay! This is such positive news. I never doubted your ability to beat this and now I'm more certain than ever that you'll conquer this miraculously. You are so faithful and positive. You are such a good example to us all. You'll continue to be in our thoughts and prayers!

Joie said...

Not only are you an amazing woman you are a dang good writer! Is there a thing you can't do.....I'd day no!
So thrilled with this news!! Love you!

colleen.musicmom said...

I agree you are a good writer! I had tears in my eyes reading this - I am so grateful for caring Doctors that do their job well and that you were able to hook up with one. I also think attitude goes a long way in your own ability to heal, so you should be up and around in no time!

Katie said...

I just had the chance to sit down and read your blog I thought about you all day wondering how your appointment went. And I am so happy to hear that you found a perfect dr.
Will continue to have you in my personal and family prayers.

Michelle Y. said...

I was so happy to get the good news from Jess! You are in my every prayer and I'm thinking about you constantly. I know your mom is pulling some major strings for you! I will continue to pray, fast and put your name in the temple.
Michelle

5 boys said...

Wow friend, you are an inspiration. You are so strong and will win this battle. I love to read your posts. You are an amazing writer and so positive. What fabulous news and an amazing doctor you found. You and your family will continue to be in our prayers.

Clarissa said...

So happy you found the right doctor! You have such a positive attitude and great faith! Thank you for your example!

Haley said...

You're a m a z i n g! What a great attitude you have. I'm with Kristy Martin. I cried when reading this as well, but my tears were tears of joy. I'm thinking about you constantly and pray everything goes well. Hugs and loves, Haley

Vanes said...

Yah!! I couldn't wait to hear the news from the doctor - sounds wonderful!! I'm so relieved to know that good things are coming! So proud of you and Matt - you both have been an inspiration to me and Mike! How you have delt with this is unreal! We pray for ya in every single prayer - Mikey fasted - we love ya! We look forward to hearing much more good news!! Love ya lots!!

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I am so happy to hear about your appointment. So many facets of your situation are identical to my son, Ben's. His surgery was an "awake" surgery that lasted 9 1/2 hours. We were told that the leaders in neurosurgery were in Phoenix and SanFranCisco at UCSF. Turns out that one of the original Dr.s at Barrow moved to the neurological dept.at UCSF. It is amazing how you are lead in the right direction in this circumstance if you rely on the spirit.
You are a fantastic writer and so fun to read, as well as inspiring. Congrats on such a good day!

Unknown said...

I don't know you but I am so pleased to hear this news. People are surrounding you with light and hope. Thoughts are a very powerful tool! You will be healed and this will be the event that shapes the rest of your life. Be excited for where it may take you...it's hope and love that get's us through the day. Those two things you have in abundance. Best wishes for a hopeful future for you and your lovely family. I will be checking back to read your stories and thinking you often.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Kristy keeps me updated, along with reading your beautifully written blog. You are amazing all the way around. Such a great example of strength....your testimony shines through your words!! I look forward to hearing about the many more miracles that will come. ♥ Terry

Jen Lundgren said...

I am so happy you found this Dr. McDreamy! You are so strong-you will beat this!!!

Sharps said...

So happy to read this today. It is so important to feel good about your doctor! Im glad you feel good. BEST of luck and we will be keeping tabs.

Bekah Shakespear said...

I had tears in my eyes the whole time I was reading this...tears of joy! I am so glad to hear a more detailed experience from you. I know everything is going to be alright for you because you are AMAZING! Also, you have the BEST family ever. We love you and your family and are here for whatever you need. Keep us posted on everything that happens.

Loves! Bekah

marcee said...

Jen, you know I am terrible about Instagram, FB, blogs... So I am just now reading this post. You are an amazing writer! Your attitude, faith, and optimism are astounding. Love you!