Monday, October 15, 2007

Microwave S'Mores

We had the best of intentions to attend our ward camp out last friday, but were unable to make it. Matt called me at about 4pm and said he had a patient scheduled at 4:45pm, which meant we would not be able to leave town until after 5.

We knew the mountains would not be nearly as fun in the pitch black (for any of us), which is when we would have gotten there so we decided against going. Our kids are a little deprived, they have never been camping so they, really, had no idea what they were missing out on. They did, however, come with me to the store to buy "s'more" stuff, so they knew that we would be doing something with chocolate and marshmallows.

Matt told the boys that we could make s'mores with our BBQ in the backyard. The kids seemed fine with this solution. Unfortunately, the BBQ was out of propane, so we had no choice, but to use the microwave. I know, pretty pathetic excuse for s'mores, but, luckily, my kids didn't care AT ALL!! Matt and I were so glad.

So our "ward camp out" turned into making s'mores in the comfort of our kitchen and best of all, we didn't get dirty, I didn't have to do extra laundry and we were able to sleep in our soft, warm beds! I wonder how long I can convince my kids that "camping" is making microwave s'mores?!!

11 comments:

Kristy Martin said...

How cute! I was sad to miss the campout too. It is always such a pain, but worth the fun when you're up there in the nice weather!!

Heidi Berry said...

S'mores are good any way you can have them! Your boys are so cute- and I agree... I would much rather sleep in my own bed!

The Bryner Bunch said...

You missed Matt and Wade's s'mores on Sunday...the were delicious and I felt like I was camping except without all of the dirt, tents, and wildlife.

Amy Y said...

So fun... my kids roast marshmellows over the stove all the time. Their get really excited when the marshmellows catch on fire though and I keep trying to explain to them that that is bad. I don't think they listened to the firemen at the field trip.

Brody Purser said...

Looks like lots of fun, and a lot more comfortable than sleeping in a tent! I love s'mores and thinking doing over the stove is so much fun! :)

Evelyn said...

Yes- kids are very easy to please. My parents used to take us kids camping all the time- I truly have no idea how they did it! Sounds like such a lot of work to me. Maybe I'll change my mind one of these days!!

Anonymous said...

Jenny your such a great mom, I loved microwave smores they cook easier and they are so damn good. hahal love Tami

Anonymous said...

Jenny, your comment on Amy Swalbergs page about the name FUNDERBURK, i was laughing so hard because i was laughing to myself and then I scroll down and look to see your comment. Roommates have the same humor I love you. Tami

Eardley Fam said...

Man, that is my kind of camping! Glad your boys had fun-seriously give kids a treat and they are happy anywhere!

Kate Rosenvall said...

I LOVE home-made smores. I must admit that I make them quite often. You are such a good little Mom!

Amanda said...

SMORES!!! Yum...those sound so good right now!!!