Monday, July 28, 2008

First Day of School

It has now come and gone, Wade's first day of "real" school. Well, at least it felt real to me (considering it is only half-day Kindersteps) because Matt and I walked him up to the elementary schoolyard, took pictures, filmed him and his buddies and said goodbye and like that he was off.
He was so excited to play on the playground and be with his friends that he barely noticed that we were still standing at the gate. I yelled, "bye Wade, I love you!" He stopped for a minute to look at me and waved and went back to playing. So, I yelled it again, "bye Wade, I love you!" I couldn't help it, I had to say it again.
I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. A few hours where I don't have to worry about one of my kids and the opportunity to accomplish more things in the day, and some free entertainment and knowledge for my otherwise bored four-almost-five year old. But I feel differently then I thought I would. I miss him, I can't believe I have a child old enough to go to school and a part of me felt empty to see him run away and play without a second thought.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have wanted it to go any differently. I am so proud of my little boy and the person he is. He is ready to learn, grow and change, he is ready for more. This is a perfect situation for him and me to be in. I look forward to an exciting year of new beginnings for him and for me. I am honored to be his mom and today, for the first time, I sent him on his way.

11 comments:

The Venutis said...

He is too cute! I'm a big fan of preschool. I can't seem to entertain Bridger all day. He gets very bored.

Anonymous said...

That first day is always hardest on the Mom, I know it was for me. Now we are approaching 1st grade starting in mid Sept. and Lydia being gone more than just 2 1/2 hours. It is going to be 6 1/2!

Unknown said...

I about cried as I read this! (I have learned that letting go is kind of hard for me.) Wade looked so cute on his first day and what a great kid that he was so excited about it.

Marie Holmes said...

Wow! Look how big he is. I loved that big grin on his face. It will be an adjustment for you, but it is such a great step. After teaching little kids, it is so nice to not have to go through the separation issue.(especially for the teacher and mom!) He is so well-adjusted. Tell him aunt Mer is proud of him too!
By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!

Vanes said...

I can't believe Wade's in school!! When Bo started school (all day kindergarten) I cried EVERY day for 2 weeks - without Bo seeing me of course! I asked Mike - do I pull him out of all day kindergarten because I can't handle it?! I think it's good when you miss them!!

Sorensen Family said...

I can't believe Wade is starting school already, he looks so handsome and grown up.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a wonderful day.

Love ya,
Linsey

Armstrongs said...

Isn't this so crazy to be sending our kids to school for so long! Chase starts in two weeks and it is 4 days from 9-1:30. I am really having a hard time!

The Bryner Bunch said...

He is such a big boy and I am proud at how both of you handled the whole thing. It couldn't have gone any smoother:)

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Well, yeah, I'm 15 minutes late to actually WISH it to you - but I was thinking of you all day!

Happy Birthday! xoxo

Armstrongs said...

Happy Birthday. I read your sisters post and it was so great! You are such a great person and I hope you had a great day...miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt jen!
Wade looks so happy in his new school.
I hope you had a good birthday.
We miss you guys!
Love, Jocey